Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence  x
 Take risks  x
 Organise and plan  x
Manage Time  x
 Make presentations  x
 Act as a leader  x
 Listen to others  x
 Debate formally and informally  x
 Problem Solving  x

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self Confidence  to present to a class  the quality of the presentation
 Self Discipline  when preparing/ studying  the outcome of the preparation
 Team Work  team teaching/ workshops  the effectiveness of the team
 Acting as a Leader  leading a class/ workshop group  the success/ not of the task
 Listening to Others  when working in a group/ leading it  if everyone’s ideas are reflected in the final outcome
 Problem solving  in every task we do when teaching or learning the adaptability of the plan we make

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Taking risks  pushing myself out with my comfort zone within the learning environment  by building on the skills in this table and improving them
 Organising and planning practicing planning lessons and organising my time better  looking at how productive I am currently and then comparing that to when I plan more
 making presentations  practicing when we do presentations in-front of the class  comparing my previous presentations to my future ones
 debating formally/ informally  by making myself partake in debates more than I do now  reflect upon my debating skills
  1. Managing My Learning

Activity 1

Complete the table below to identify and reflect on those factors and plan actions for each.

Recognition/ Reflection Action
What helps my learning? How can I utilise this?
Conversing with peers / classmates –        Study in groups and share ideas for a wider knowledge base

–        Talk online about our opinions on the topic to learn new viewpoints

A structured study plan –        Create a study plan designed to allow time for all of the elements required for the course
Studying for shorter periods of time –        Plan breaks and things to do in them to give my mind a break as well
Changing the way I take information down –        Use all ways to mix it up; PowerPoint, mind maps, flashcards

–        Adapt to what is best for that subject

Recognition/Reflection Action
What hinders my learning? How can I address this factor?
Getting distracted by my surroundings –        Make sure I have time to study by myself

–        Take notes in lectures to avoid talking

Not sticking to my study plan –        Make small to do lists so I can keep on task
Leaving deadlines to last minute –        Create my own deadlines leading up to the true deadline
Being in a cluttered, messy space –        Take a few minutes to clear the space around me before sitting down to study so I can focus on that

–        Or remove myself from the room and go to the library