Why I strive to become a Primary School Teacher

Many children grow up without the distinct privileges that I had as a child; a stable home environment, stable friendship groups, good schooling and many more. I have always strived to help and touch people’s lives throughout my own life and I see becoming a Primary School Teacher as the perfect way of being able to have a real and lasting impact upon people’s lives. I was impacted by my Primary 7 level teachers (namely Mr Thompson and Mr Philips) who were an absolute inspiration both in their attitudes towards the pupils and their teaching abilities. They showed fairness, authoritativeness, calmness and good composure, whilst also never deviating from total and unconditional positive regard towards their pupils. Throughout the lectures or the telling offs, I never once felt like they were no longer on my side. I hope to imbue these same qualities into my teaching career in order to help improve and support the academic lives of my pupils.

One thought on “Why I strive to become a Primary School Teacher

1. Those teachers have clearly left an impression on you Andrew! Your description of them is one that I am sure they would be delighted to have in their professional review. You focus on the academic side of things in your last sentence but I think you too can clearly see the impact that teachers can have on the affective development of children as well.

Reply