Music

N4/5

What will I learn?

You will develop practical skills on two instruments and/or voice, performing a varied programme totalling 8 minutes over both disciplines. This needs to be at an equivalent standard of ABRSM Grade 2 (N4)/ Grade 3(N5).

You will gain experience in composing, through the completion of a short piece of music (1 – 3 mins.) using ICT in the form of an Improvisation(N4). A review, based on constant reflection on the process, is also required.

Through a variety of listening experiences, including live performances, you will gain an understanding of musical concepts and how to identify these.

How will I learn?

Through a variety of solo and group activities, you will experience playing and performing music from different genres and will evaluate your own performances and the performances of others.

You will combine practical skills and ICT to create and develop musical compositions.

By listening to a wide range of music, you will gain an understanding of musical concepts and literacy.

How will I be assessed?

National 4 assessment is ongoing and will be assessed by your classroom teacher on a Pass/Fail basis.

National 5
Practical Performance
Instrument 1(or Voice) (25%) Assessed by Visiting external examiner from February 2021.
Instrument 2 (25%) Assessed by Visiting external examiner from February 2021.
Composing (15%) Composition along with review, submitted to SQA April 2021
Understanding Music (35%) A written paper, completed in May 2021 as part of the main exam diet is also externally marked .

Career Opportunities

Performing musician, live events production, music journalist, songwriter, club, theatre and arena management, tour manager, music producer, radio and television, musical theatre, accompanist, cruise ship musician, sound designer, video game music designer, music teacher, instrumental instructor, armed forces musician, orchestral / choral conductor, music therapist.

Music Technology

N5

What will I learn?

I will learn about a range of music from the 20th and 21st Centuries, e.g. Jazz, Rock, Pop and EDM.

I will learn about the music and recording industry, and how this has developed over the last century.

I will develop music technology skills such as recording, creating, mixing and editing sounds.

I will learn how to record instruments and voices in a recording studio using microphones.

I will create two projects, which could include sound design for a film, a radio broadcast, sound effects for a film, a multi-track or an audio book.

How will I learn?

I will learn through a range of teacher demonstration and practical activities, including group and individual work.

I will get the opportunity to experiment with several different types of music and instrumentation when applying microphone techniques.

I will be able to experiment with audio capture of other sound sources to create sound effects.

I will take part in listening activities to gain an understanding of music from the 20th – 21st century, and the development of music technology during this time.

How will I be assessed?

I will be assessed through two projects which are submitted in March. This can include creating a live performance, radio broadcast, composing and/or sound design for film, audiobooks and computer gaming.

A final written listening exam will take part in May.

Career Opportunities

Sound engineer, radio and television production, film and game sound design, recording studio management, radio broadcast engineer, music producer, media specialist, audio and lighting technician, recording artist, multimedia specialist.