‘Finding out about others: the skill of questioning’, in Hargie, O. (2011) Skilled Interpersonal Communication: Research, Theory and Practice. 5th Ed. London: Routledge

This was a post session task: to read a chapter from of a book (as stated in the title) and then write a review on the chapter based on given question

The main aim of the chapter is to unpack the topic of question and to help the reader improve their knowledge of the broadness of the topic and the range of questions that can be asked and their effectiveness. Some of the key themes mentioned in the chapter are: the purpose of questions, types of questions, the effectiveness of different types of questions, the suitability of types of questions for different age group and the different contexts where different types of questions may be used

I agree with the point made about recall questions being more appropriate for those at lower ability levels. This is because process questions require more complex thinking skills that some individuals may not have developed yet, so they may find this style of questioning more complex. My view can be supported with evidence from Rubie-Davies from 2007 which is given in the text to back up this claim.

I disagree with the style of questioning used in the example of the 4 year old girl giving evidence in the Old Bailey. This is because it was clear in the example that the type of questioning used was not suited to the girl’s young age and the questions used seemed to be putting words into her mouth. As well as this, she didn’t understand the question and as a result the question wasn’t answered clearly. I can back up why I feel this way with evidence from the chapter where it says “One journalist reporting on this case concluded “There has to be a better system for gaining justice for infants than cross-examination in court” (Anthony, 2008)

There were a couple of words in the passage that I didn’t understand. After looking them up in the dictionary, I understand the meaning of these words to be as follows:

•  Dyadic – something that exists in two parts
  • Acquiesce –  to accept something reluctantly but without protest
  • Ubiquitous – found everywhere