Amy Connell ePDP

The Environment – Study Task 1

Recently, I have moved house from a slightly quieter area to a larger populated/busier area. This means that the urban environment in which I live in has experienced a great deal of change. I now live in a new build of houses opposite Braehead Shopping Centre. This, first and foremost, impacts hugely on both the physical development and the social development of my urban environment. As this is a huge attraction to thousands of people weekly, it highlights other factors that may affect the environment.environemnt

For example, the way people travel to and from the shopping centre. There is a large bus station at the opposite end and a huge car parking facility. As a result of this, the rise in air pollution from vehicle exhaust engines must have a damaging effect on both our own health and the environment we live in. Inhaling air pollution can have minor effects on u such as itchy eyes or a burning throat, but these effects can also go as far as breathing problems and death. However, development in new technology in the form of electric cars has helped to decrease these fumes as electric cars stir up dirt without producing gases. I have provided a link below which lists a number of facts regarding Air Pollution. Other factors that may contribute to this in the surrounding area is the River Clyde which is situated right behind the shopping centre. Things such as litter in the water, animals, boats etc. in the water will also impact on this.

http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/various-air-pollution-facts.php

My street itself is full of new build houses and they are continuing to build more in the surrounding area. This means that there are a lot of on-going building work and construction which can be noisy, damaging to the air, and impact on nature. Before the housing estate was built, it was large wasteland which I am sure was home to many different animals. Since living here, I see a group of rabbits daily that surprisingly, are still around to this day, since I moved in last October. The construction-type environment in which they are living in however will be damaging to their lives and their families and ultimately they are fighting for survival in the form of food and somewhere to live/sleep.

In terms of community spaces, there are a number of schools and nurseries within walking distance from where I live. Most of these establishments are either situated amongst housing estates and or near town centres. There is a park further down from the shopping centre which has impacted on our social development and our lifelong care. This park has created a smaller area outwith the busy hustle and bustle surroundings of the main roads and shopping centre etc. , for surrounding residents to walk their dogs and take their kids to the park. This has been an excellent addition to the environment as a play park and a number of ponds are also in the park. The play-park is in two sections for different age groups with smaller more suitable play equipment for younger children in one section, and larger equipment such as climbing frames etc. in the other for older children. There is also a basketball court and benches for older citizens to sit and read etc. This has an impact on our future generations health as they are able to exercise free of cost, in a safe environment surrounding their homes. This also provides children, and adults, a chance to interact with nature. It is easy for nature to be forgotten about or perhaps less visible in a busy area like this, therefore having a park with different aspects of living for nature i.e. water, grass, tree’s, bushes etc. benefits a child’s learning and interaction with nature.  Here we have a birds eye view picture of the park being constructed beside a newer picture of the park with the housing that currently surrounds it.

clyde-view-parkpark-2