Amy Connell ePDP

ENERGY – LEARNING LOG

During our energy workshop with Louise, we researched on wind turbines in groups and then held a debate on whether we were for or against wind turbines. I think this was beneficial in terms of both furthering my knowledge on wind turbines and an idea for lesson plans i.e. debates. Reasons brought up against wind turbines included the way they disrupt nature, in other words, ruining landscapes and possibly killing birds in the sky etc. Reasons for, was based on their positive impact and the energy that can be saved by using them. During our session with Andrew, we took part in a number of experiments that showed us how alternative energy can be used. These experiments included hydro energy, static electricity and wind energy. There was one experiment in particular that showed how electrical energy can start fire using steel wool. However, when it got to my group taking part in this it failed to work. This highlighted to me the importance of checking all experiments work before presenting it to the children and that I take the safety implications into consideration i.e. safety risk checks etc.