Amy Connell ePDP

Climate Change – Learning Log 2

Before this weeks input, climate change was something I didn’t take much interest in nor did I take time to dig deeper into what it actually meant. The met office defines climate change as “a large scale, long term shift in the planet’s weather patterns or average temperatures.” Evidence of climate change can be shown through a variety of factors such as higher temperatures, changes in rainfall and nature, sea levels rising, retreating glaciers and much more. I learned in our lecture that climate change can be caused by anything that affects the amount of energy being absorbed from the sun, or the amount being radiated by the Earth – the planets energy balance – may produce long or short -term cooling or warming.

climate

During Andrew’s input we carried out 6 experiments to help increase our knowledge on global warming and weather. Some of the following experiments were ones I personally found to be most interesting and that I gained the most knowledge and information from.

The first task my group took part in was creating a cloud in a jar. This required us to use hot water, a match and ice. The reasoning behind this experiment was to discuss and visually see what happens when warm and cold air meet. I found this to be one of the more interesting and most engaging experiments, however I think it would be best suited as a class presentation due to health and safety risks with the use of matches.

For the second experiment, we gathered red food colouring together in a glass of cold water and blue food colouring in a glass of warm water, and put them both together in a larger tank of water at room temperature and watched what happened. The results showed the red food colouring evaporating into the water – because warm air rises and expands, whilst the blue food colouring sank to the bottom of the tank – because cold air is more dense.

Another experiment that I found particularly interesting and easy to do with younger children, was creating a tornado in a jar. This involved placing some washing up liquid and food colouring in a jar of water and swirling it round to see the final result. These chemicals reacted together and created a tornado like swirl in the middle of the jar. I found this to be a particularly easy and engaging way to help further children’s knowledge on different types of weather.

tornado

During Louise’s input, we discussed the impact that politicians have on global warming. It is clear that there have been many positive government actions associated with global warming i.e. the protection of habitats and species (Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004)), their cooperation with other groups and nations and the interest in educating the general public about actions at a local/individual level. Although there has been evidence of some positive action towards global warming/climate change, it still is not enough. We had a look at some international milestones associated with climate change which ranged from the first world climate conference in 1979 right up to actions being taken in 2015.

Louise showed us an interactive climate change map which I found to be a really useful tool to help children understand a little better, whilst shocking me at the same time. The map showed the effects that global warming can have on a number of countries/cities, as it showed them being flooded and practically destroyed by the rise of sea level.

http://www.cfr.org/climate-change/crisis-guide-climate-change/p17088

In terms of impact this input has had on my views, I would say that it has left a lasting impression. Along with the things I learned about the environment the previous week, I am continuously noticing things that I perhaps didn’t before and taking different things into consideration. For example, after completing the carbon footprint test, I have made the conscious decision to walk more than drive where appropriate. I have also realised that even though there are aspects to global warming/climate change that may not affect us directly, when you look at the bigger picture, it affects us hugely in a number of ways and has an impact on our future. I now understand that it is important that if everyone contributes even slightly in the smallest of ways, it can make a huge, positive impact on our environment and our future.