Good Reflective Practice.

Today’s input was about our ePortfolios and how we can inspire and challenge our way of thinking in terms of certain approaches and methodologies of education in relation to good practice. We were given 8 examples from our fellow student’s blog which were all exhibiting good practice in their own unique ways. It was very inspirational to see our fellow students doing so well in contributing to and embracing the shared, collaborative culture that we’ve created together. It’s really inspirational to be able to see how others are developing their professional thoughts as it’s a fairly new concept for us all. In this particular post I will be reflecting on what I can learn from these posts.

The one that particularly stood out to me was Layla Dawson’s post on ‘Fear of Feedback’ as it was very detailed and clearly a lot of thought has gone in. The title is quite catchy and will draw anyone in as feedback is something everyone has to face in whatever career and can be a very daunting task. Layla starts off with the oxford definition of feedback which I think is very good idea for initially starting the post as it simply defines the topic of discussion. She also goes on to talk about what feedback means to her which informs the reader of a clear view of her knowledge and understanding. From reading the first paragraph you can see that she clearly has a detailed understanding and can link it to her understanding of criticism and praise as well.

I particularly liked the second paragraph as I feel it is one that many can relate to. I know I really struggle when it comes to feedback as I don’t want to be too critical or too nice, it’s about getting the right balance. I like how Layla goes on to talk about the effects of different types of feedback and how she feels about getting/giving feedback. It helps to give an inside into her professional view of feedback and her experiences. Further on she talks about her so far positive experience and how that made her feel. Additionally, where she’ll go from here now that she’s done this.

Layla goes on to tell us what she’s learnt about feedback which can be very beneficial for others as different people will take different things from the same task and I find it particularly interesting to find out other people’s perceptive of things. What I found very good was the fact she linked it to placement which shows us how she is linking her learning in a professional manner to her practice. I found this the most beneficial as it showed me how other people were using their TDT’s to gain knowledge for placement as it’s important to feel prepared!

Ending the post with a link was very useful for the reader also as they could go on to read further into feedback if that was of particular interest to them. Overall, I think Layla has written a very detailed post which shows a critical and reflective attitude towards her learning. I think we could learn something from this post as it has something for everyone, even the most knowledgeable on feedback! Personally, this post helped me to develop my understanding of feedback and give an inside into others thoughts on the topic.

Layla’s Post: https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/glowblogs/myuniversityeportfoliolayla/2015/11/03/fear-of-feedback/