Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activities for unit 1 Personal and Interpersonal Skills and Abilities

1. Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities 1 2 3
Self confidence                     x
Self-discipline                     x
Team Work                     x
Act as a Leader                     x
Listen to others                     x
Write for academic purposes                     x
Computing Skills                     x
Be Creative                     x
Problem solving                      x

Activity 2

1. Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.
Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How I will use these How do I know (evidence)**
Self confidence I will use this to be confident about my decisions and be able to come across as confident when teaching lessons.
Self-discipline I will use this to help improve my skills and get work done on time. I will also make sure I am well prepared to teach a class
Team Work I will use this to work with my colleagues, pupils and people on the course
Act as a Leader I will use this on placement to make sure that I have good control in the classroom
Listen to others I will use this to make sure that I can listen to other people’s opinions and also listen to any problems a child may have.
Write for academic purposes I will use this to make sure course work I produce is up to a high standard
Computing Skills I will use this to update my blog, make notes and write course work.
Be Creative I will use this when writing pieces for my blog and when planning lessons for my placements so that children are interested.
Problem solving I will use this to overcome any problems that may occur during the course or on placement.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How I will develop these How do I know (evidence) **
Organise and plan I will make sure that I make detailed lesson plans before using them in front of the children.
Debate formally and informally I will take part in discussions and put forward my opinions and consider other people’s opinions as well.
Build social networks I will build social networks by meeting new people and building connections through my course, social events and societies.
Think critically I will think critically to improve my academic writing and gain a better understanding.
Generate new ideas I will generate new ideas for lesson plans to keep the class entertained but also learning.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.