Natural Disasters

This weeks sustainable development lecture and workshops were based around Natural Disasters. Although this is often a sensitive subject, I think it is appropriate for this subject to be taught in the classroom as it lets the children know about how natural disasters can effect people in our world today, educate them of the different natural disasters that are happening more frequently in our world, and what we can do to help.

We were asked to focus on the preparation and actions people have to take before, during and after a natural disaster. I created 3 mind maps and uploaded this to the Padlet website which challenged my digital literacy skills as I am not familiar with Padlet. However, this is a great resource to share ideas and look at my peers work. Here are the 3 mind maps that I created :

This was a fun and creative way to summarise what I had learned about natural disasters and I would definitely use this method in the classroom. For next week we have to focus on one natural disaster and create a PowerPoint presentation to deliver to our peers. Skills such as working in a team and digital literacy skills will have to be applied for the task to be a success.