E-books Book creator input 5/2/19

In today’s input I was introduced to the concept of multimodal learning through e-Books. Prior to this input my knowledge of E-Books went as far as knowing you could download books onto your tablet or kindle.  Firstly we discussed the definition of an E-Book : “an electronic version of a printed book which can be read on a computer or a specifically designed handheld device” (The Oxford English Dictionary). We then moved on to discuss what the E-Book app Book creator has to offer and the learning possibilities it possesses. Book creator is an Ipad app which allows anyone to make books such as children’s picture books, comic books, photo books, journals and textbooks.

The overall objective of this lesson was to create an eBook on the app book creator which both summarises a book and expands the children’s learning. I chose to complete this activity on the book ‘The Gruffallo’. I decided to focus my activity around Literacy, covering such areas as rhyming words, punctuation and adjectives.  I followed the original story but completed my E-Book using pictures, words, sounds and interactive opportunities such as :

The experiences and outcomes I chose to cover in this activity are:

I can explore digital technologies and use what I learn to solve problems and share ideas and thoughts. TCH 0-01a 

I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use
what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. TCH 1-01a

I can show my understanding of what I listen to or watch by responding to and asking different kinds of questions. LIT 1-07a

After completing this activity and delving deeper into the possibilities E-Books have to offer I can now recognise the many benefits E-Books have within the education environment. E-Books encourage children to develop their passion for reading in a fun and creative manner. They emphasis the link between technology and learning by showing that reading and creative writing does not have to be done by pen on paper.  These E-Books are on devices which are extremely familiar to the youth of today such as Ipads and computers and they are also portable which means children can read wherever they like – even in areas such as outside (Jarvis, 2015). E-Books also allow children with learning difficulties to engage fully with reading texts, which in other scenarios they may struggle with. This is due to the use of such things as pictures and sound recordings. It also allows children to show their creative side when producing texts of their own, with the variety of tools these apps have to offer: Beauchamp states that “ICT can allow pupils to record their thoughts in a wide variety of ways. They are able to write, draw, record both sound and video, or any combination of these depending on their age and ability.”(Beauchamp, 2012, p101).

This input also sparked discussions on the use of Ipads within classroom environment in general.  I believe that Ipads are a great asset within the classroom as they provide a link between learning and the technologies that the children use on a day to day basis to play games etc.  However, I do believe that Ipads can only be a great assest if every teacher in the school is trained on how to use them in the best way. I also believe they can only be used if they do not cause a divide within the classroom, one school in Aberdeen proposed that parents lease Ipads for their children to use in the classroom (Education Scotland, 2012). I feel this would simply cause a divide within the classroom as some parents would not be able to provide their child with an Ipad and thus Ipads should not be within the classroom if the parents are the ones who need to purchase them.

Overall, I found this app extremely enjoyable to use. I spent four hours creating a piece and I honestly could have spent the full day expanding on it. The way in which the pages turn like a real life book is a great feature. My only complaint is the monotone male voice that narrates the story and when using in the classroom environment I will be avoiding this feature.

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Jarvis, M. (2015) Brilliant Ideas for Using ICT in the Classroom: A Very Practical Guide for Teachers and Lecturers. Routledge.

OxfordDictionaries.com

(Education Scotland,2012) Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-18081005