Expressive Arts Week 4

Expressive Arts Blog Week 4

This week we were in the music studio working with different instruments. We were looking at graphic soundscapes. This was in order to expand our knowledge of music and to give us a series of lessons that we could do with a class that the children could understand and enjoy but being creative and exploring different sounds and medias in order to create whatever they choose.

We learnt what a graphic soundscape is and how it works. It is when a certain sound or instrument is connected with a drawn picture which in turn makes up a key. So, clapping could be illustrated with a hand. They are then displayed in a boxed table which is read from left to right but everything in the one column is played at once. This is used to try and create an atmosphere through sound. The example we did as a whole class was fire works night. So, the individual sounds we had were bangs, talking background music etc. I thought this was a really good idea to start with as there are many different noises going on at the same time in a fireworks display. Also, most of us and children in a class will have been to a fireworks display or at least heard of them from afar. So, this means that everyone can have an input into the sounds being made to make the final sequence. We then went into smaller groups and got to chose what our soundscape was going to be and make it and the graphics to go along with it then we preformed them in front of the class.

GWUJ0087[1]

I feel that this would be a really good activity to do with a class of children that could be split into a number of lessons. Such as discussing and coming up with ideas for themes. Then exploring the different instruments and online resources to come up with the different sounds that are going to be used. Then an art lesson where they make their graphic soundscape drawing all the little images and making up a key. Then finally putting it all together and sharing it with the class. I think this would be a really effective task to do with children to get them engaged with music and to get to explore different instruments that they may never have seen or used before. It is also cross curricular as it brings in digital technology using the internet and recording tools to make up the different sounds they wouldn’t be able to make with the instruments available. It also brings in their creativity and art as they have to draw and make their graphic soundscape. And then obviously music for when they make the final product and use the instruments. One experience and outcome that could be connected with this lesson would be “Inspired by a range of stimuli and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 0-18a / EXA 1-18a / EXA 2-18a”.

Reference

• Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Experiences and Outcomes [Online] https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/Experiences%20and%20outcomes [Accessed on 5th February 2019]

Expressive Arts Week 3

Expressive Arts Blog Week 3

This week in expressive arts we were in the music studio. Last week I decided that the piece of music that that could be connect to my evocative object was a song by Ed Sheeran called Supermarket flowers. This was because it referenced angles in the shape of your mum and this is connected to my object as my teddy was given to my auntie by my gran who is not here anymore, then gave it to me. Before we came today we were tasked with bringing in two pieces of music one to do with our evocative object and one that is the complete opposite contrast.

Due to my piece of music being quite sad and emotional I decided that a contrasting piece would be something more up beat or that brought around more positive memories and feelings when I listen to it. I decided that it would be “Beauty and the Beast” by Angela Lansbury. I chose this because I love Disney and beauty and the beast in particular as it’s my favourite film. It is also close to my heart as I named my dog Belle after the princess, so the film brings around positive emotions of her. During this workshop we all went up to the front one at a time and played our two pieces of music and we could either then share why we picked them or let the rest of the class try and guess. I decided to just share and explain why the sad song makes me feel emotional and why the Disney one makes me feel happy.

While doing this sharing exercise we could see in peoples expressions and explanations of whether they liked the other piece of music and how each piece made them feel emotionally. I in particular felt it hard to keep m y emotions in while listening to the Ed Sheeran song as so many of the lyrics are so real in my experience of my gran passing and make me think of that really hard and sad time. I felt as though I was going to cry when explaining why I love and feel so strongly about the “Supermarket Flower” as it is so close to my heart. There is an importance for music to be taught in school for the benefits of creativity and the children getting to express themselves through varied learning. Fleming, M. (2012). This emphasises that children getting to express themselves through their music choices is an essential part of development.

We then watched a few videos that talked about how much of an impact music can have on a motion picture. They explained how films can make you feel different emotions or make you think differently about a character or situation depending on what type of music is played over the top of the video. I never realised before how much of an impact this is. I always knew that music and sound can change the feeling or a movie, but I never realised just how much and how it can change the theme of the film or moment. For next week we have to make a soundtrack to go along with a short animation and being into class.

• Supermarket Flowers lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd., Universal Music Publishing Group
  • Fleming, M. (2012). The arts in education: an introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy. London: Routledge.

Expressive Arts Week 2

Expressive Arts Week 2

This week we were continuing the theme of evocative objects, but we were going to look at the music side of it. Trying to either find an already existing song that reminds you or has the same feel as your evocative object. The other option was to make a piece of music on garage band that you could relate to your object.

I decided this week that I was going to change my evocative object to another that I have that I feel brings more emotion than my ring. My new object I have chosen is a teddy which is a wee bunny in pyjamas lying on a pillow. This teddy was given from my gran to my Auntie Sheena when she was in hospital receiving chemo. I used to stay at my aunties house every Saturday night because they live in Mauchline so it was the only time in the week I would see them. And when I would stay I used to sleep with the teddy because I loved it and it made me think of how my auntie was better now. Then when my gran passed away my auntie Sheena asked me if it would be okay if she gave it back to gran so she could have it with her, but she then decided that my gran would of rather I had it, so she gave it to me. So, it now feels as though I always have a piece of my gran and my Auntie Sheena, who I am still very close to, with me in my room all the time. So, when I look at or think about my teddy I feel happy because it brings back so many memories, but it also brings back the time my auntie was ill and the fact my gran isn’t here anymore. I feel that in using this object I will be able to bring out a lot of emotions and memories that could be put into the arts.

This week I already had a song in mind that I would use. I decide on “supermarket Flowers” by Ed Sheeran. The lyrics in this song are very emotional and especially relate to loosing a very close family member in particular your mum but I can explain how these lyrics still relate to my object. The first lyrics that relate in particular are “Memories of a life that’s been loved” this is relatable as the teddy bring back these memories of my gran. The next and main part of the song says “you were an angel in the shape of my mum” this relates as my mum and my auntie both look so much like my gran, so she is the angel that is in the shape of my mum and auntie. Also, my Auntie is like my second mum, so she is also in the shape of my mum. The other reason I picked this song was because both my mum and auntie love this song and it makes them happy and cry because it reminds them of my gran. I feel that this task was insightful as it makes you realise how much a piece of music can relate to your life and how it can bring about so much emotion within you and bring back so many memories. This task has also made me feel so much more towards my object because it has made me think about it also and realise even more hoe irreplaceable it is. Fleming, M. (2012) explains how the importance of music in classes could be achieved by looking at emotions in pieces of music by saying that the central aim of all the arts being taught in schools is to develop creativity, imagination and bringing emotion to their work. This could be achieved by children describing how pieces of music can make them feel.

Reference

Expressive Arts Week 1

Expressive Arts Week 1 Blog

This was the fist week in the expressive arts module, this module was an option module and I chose to take it over others due to the interest and love I have for some of the arts. The arts I love are visual art such as drawing and painting, but mainly dance. I have danced since I was 3 and I love going to my dance classes and exams right now I assist my teacher in taking the younger classes dance lessons and I am currently now training to be a qualified dance teacher.

As this was our first week it started off with an introduction to the course and then we as a class read WHAT MAKES AN OBJECT EVOCATIVE? From the book Evocative Objects by Sherry Turkle to get a feel for what we are going to be focusing on. Through the reading of this I realised the importance of everyone having evocative objects even if they don’t mean anything to someone else if they mean something to you and bring back an emotion or story. “The meaning of even such objects shifts with time, place, and differences among individuals.” (Turkle, 2007, p.307) It also explains that the object may become of an even greater importance over time due to the passing of relatives for example.

We then went around everyone in the class while sitting in a circle and everyone explained what their evocative object is and how it makes them feel. My object is my birthstone ring. I explained that my ring was a birthday present that I got for my 18th from my best friend and that I also got her the same ring for her birthday unintentionally, as our birthdays are so close. We never take them off, so it has become a kind of friendship charm and Goodluck token that we always have. I explained that when I think about my ring it makes me feel lucky to have such a close friend and that it makes me feel loved and close to her as we may not always be together, but we know the other always has a bit of the other with them. When everyone else was talking about their objects it made them feel emotional and it also made me feel emotional as people were talking about how much they loved the objects and why. Overall I feel that this activity was very useful as it brought out a lot of emotions that could be used when creating art as this can bring out a more reactive and personal feel to it.

Reference

• Turkle, S. (2007) Evocative objects: things we think with. Mit Press.

Integrated Arts Week 11

Integrated Arts Week 11

This was the last week in Integrated arts, so the lecture slot was focused on the feedback for the module. We discussed what we had completed throughout the module then we were given the feedback sheets to fill anonymously.

The first workshop my section completed was the dance one. This was where we did the same activities as last week to warm up but this time our group was given half the stretches to complete. I feel this was a good task because we now have played eight games that we could use with children to get them warmed up and for fun. Also, we have now completed a full two sets of stretches which has given us a bigger variety of stretches to do for different body parts. We then went back into our groups to practice the dance we made last week ready to get it filmed. We then got it filmed and watched it back on the whiteboard where we were to fill out a sheet with three stars and a wish for ourselves. I think this was a good way to end the sessions of dance because it let us see how everything came together from the start making up the ten moves to making a whole class dance we could perform. I think this would be a good series of lessons to do with a class as at the end they have something they can be proud of and if it is possible perform in front of another class for instance. “Through dance, they bring their inner self to the surface where they can express their dreams, fears, needs, and joys.” (Cone, 2009) I think this quote explains really nicely what children get out of making their own dances and being able to lead their own lessons to the level of difficulty that they want to. The self-evaluation sheets are helpful as you could film it once with a class then do the sheets before they perform it in front of people and they will be able to think back to what their wish was and try to improve it. “I can respond to the experience of dance by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work. EXA 0-11a / EXA 1-11a / EXA 2-11a / EXA 3-11a.” This experience and outcome could be connected to the dancing but also to the self-evaluation that we completed about our performance.

The second workshop my section completed was music. In this section we focussed on learning how to play simple songs on the ukulele. We had a look on the Charanga website and at their resources for this instrument. I found this input very useful as I can’t play any instruments, I thought that playing the ukulele would be very difficult but once I had learnt how to play the different keys I then realised that it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I think that if the resources are available to me in a primary school that I would feel quite comfortable teaching young children how to play the ukulele even if I am learning alongside them. We managed to play a Christmas song on the ukulele and this could be related to Christmas performance from the whole school in a nativity of some sort or even just making the learning relevant in the class and getting the children engaged. “I can use my voice, musical instruments and music technology to discover and enjoy playing with sound, rhythm, pitch and dynamics. EXA 1-17a.” This experience and outcome could be connected to learning how to play any musical instrument doesn’t have to be particularly the ukulele.

Overall, I feel that todays sessions were helpful as they showed how a series of lessons that could last a whole term are finished and give the children a final outcome they can be proud of and perform it in some way. I think that if I am to teach my class dance I will most definitely use the structure that we have been working through in this module then try and get the children somewhere they can perform it in front of some sort of audience without putting too much pressure on them. I also think that if I was supplied with a class resource of ukuleles I would feel so much more comfortable trying to teach the children it than what as I was before because I have no music background what so ever except from that I use the rhythm and pitch to do my dancing and dance teaching to outside of university. There is such an importance for music to be taught in school not only for the benefits of creativity and the children getting to express themselves and vary their learning in school but also Fleming, M. 2012 said that the teaching of music in schools can improve children’s performance in other areas of learning such as maths due to the cognitive aspect of learning how to play an instrument and count music. “I have experienced the energy and excitement of presenting/performing for audiences and being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/ performances. EXA 0-01a / EXA 1-01a / EXA 2-01a.” I feel that this experience and outcome could be connected to either of today’s lessons whether it’s the class performing their dance for another class or if it’s the music for a show etc. Overall I feel today’s sessions have been very insightful and useful towards me becoming a teacher.

Module Conclusion

• Cone (2011) Following Their Lead: Supporting Children’s Ideas for Creating DancesFile. Publisher: Routledge
  • Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Experiences and Outcomes [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/Experiences%20and%20outcomes [Accessed: 20th November 2018]
  • Fleming, M. (2012) The arts in education: an introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy. London : Routledge.

Integrated Arts Week 10

Integrated Arts Week 10

This week in integrated arts we had a lecture based on dance and then a dance and drama workshop. The lecture was based on the importance and meaning of creative dance and it being taught. We talked about what your role is as a dance facilitator in a school class room and the main way to do so is to teach the ten basic dance skills that we learnt in the first week of dance, balance, turn, twist etc. Also as a dance teacher you have to facilitate a safe space for dance to take place, this means doing it in a large area with no trip or slip hazards. Also, to assist when required but to try and leave the children to use their own creativity to create a dance or series of moves that they can be proud of and know that they made themselves with only the base been laid down for them. I am currently training to become a qualified dance teacher outside of university as I already assist my dance teacher for four classes a week and take over the class if circumstances are made that I need to. Due to this I feel that teaching dance is one of my more confident areas of integrating the arts into education. Creative dance should be left up to the children to make their own vision of what it should look like. Dance should be made fun, meaningful, safe for the children to lead the learning (Cone, 2009).  In the curriculum for excellence it is stated that children should have the opportunity to create, present, appreciate and evaluate dance (CFE, 2009). I hope to be able to do this in classes in the future.

This week’s drama workshop was where we presented our microteaching presentations. Our presentation focused on using “we’re going on a bear hunt” as a stimulus for the lesson. We focussed on using the role on the wall convention of looking at the thoughts of the family around the bear and then the bears feelings on the inside. I feel that our presentation went okay, we were planning on reading out the book to the class the same way you would with children but the member of our group who had the book forgot to bring it, so we had to improvise and find a YouTube video of the book being read. I also felt that we should have maybe done more than one drama convention in our lesson, but we decided to focus in depth on just one. We also got to watch and take part in all the other groups presentations/ lessons. I felt this was really good as it showed different ways you could relate different drama conventions to different story books and lesson plans.

This week’s dance input was mainly focused on us coming up with our warm ups that could be used with a class. Then we worked on remembering and putting together our dance, so it can be recorded next week. First of all, each group was given part of the warm up to make up, so our group came up with Christmas tig, which is similar to toilet tig but instead of a toilet you are a Christmas tree and instead of flushing the toilet you run around the tree putting the tinsel up. I think this was a good activity because we got to see lots of different warm up games and stretches to do. Then we went over our dances from the last dance input and changed the whole class dance from a Halloween one to a Christmas themed one and then put everyone’s bits together to make a whole class dance. This helped with thinking about a series of dance lessons come together to have a final product that a class can be proud of. I have attached a video of our groups dance bellow.

IFXW2541[1]

Overall, this week’s learning was based on learning how to teach these sections of the arts but at the same time furthering out development in the two sections. In both of the workshops we furthered our skills in presenting and dance. We also were learning how to teach these to children in a primary class. I think I will definitely use the method of teaching dance that we have been working through in the last weeks in my own class in the future. And I also think I would feel more confident in teaching a drama lesson now than what I was before we completed this module.

REFERENCES

Integrated Arts Week 9

Integrated Arts Week 9

This week we did not have a lecture and instead the second part of the day was a drop-in session for the assignment if people wanted to ask questions etc.

For my weekly blog this week I wanted to present my learning and connections in a more creative way to show that there are more ways other than just text to present information. This is the same for children in school, children learn differently and present their learning different. I have attached a mind map bellow of my connections I made in the music workshop.

The second task in the music workshop was we were to make a banjo out of a paper plate and elastic bands and then make a harmonica out of lollipop sticks, straws and elastic bands. I have attached bellow pictures of my creations. An experience and outcome that could be associated with doing this task with a class to do with the music side of it would be “Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 0-18a / EXA 1-18a / EXA 2-18a,” Another to do with the art side of the activity would be “I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, discovering their effects and suitability for specific tasks. EXA 1-02a.” I think I would definitely use these activities with a class in the future.

For the art workshop we focused on watching a video all to do with the importance of using STEAM in schools rather than STEM showing the importance of incorporating art into school activities. The video was Tim Ingold’s conference at UWS. I feel like from watching this video it has helped confirm with me that their is a high importance for using art in all ways in school classrooms.

Overall the link between the two workshops in my eyes was confirming the importance of integrating art into the curriculum in primary schools and in my mind they have done so. I am sure that when i have a class of my own I am going to try my hardest to do this as much as i can for every subject.

• Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Experiences and Outcomes [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/Experiences%20and%20outcomes [Accessed: 6th November 2018]
  • Tim Ingold Walking and Talking (2013) – Prof Tim Ingold’s keynote at the Thinking Dangerously in Teacher Education Conference at UWS, [Online] Available: https://vimeo.com/77119799 [Accessed: 6th November 2018]