Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Sharing opinions confidently
Teamwork
Self-confidence
Take notes
Manage time
Contributing to discussions
Listen to others
        *
         *

*

*

*

*

*

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Listen to others  During group discussions make sure I am paying attention when others are talking.  Making it obvious I am taking on board what they have said by nodding and if I agree let them know. I listen to other during lectures when they voice their opinions and during my time in the Working Together workshop.
 Teamwork  Teamwork is essential in a teaching environment and is useful for discussions and planning activities with other teachers. If you do not attempt to work with others you won’t get anywhere.  Every week I work in a team with my Working Together group and we also worked as a team when we visited agencies.Also during lectures when we are asked to work as a pair I work closely with my partner.
 Taking notes  I will use this during lectures and workshops to record things from both the PowerPoint and what the lecturer or my peers are saying.  I have recorded my notes from every lecture and have dated them so I know which week they are from. This will help when I go over my notes.
 Contributing to discussions  I will use this during lectures and within peer groups.  I have contributed in my peer groups to each discussion and made sure my opinion has been heard.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self-confidence
Not always assuming I’m wrong or aren’t understanding the lectures.
 Try to believe in myself more and not put myself down, especially when it comes to writing assignments.
 Sharing opinions confidently  By speaking up during lectures and not being too nervous to do so.  If a question is asked that I have an answer to, speak up, and don’t just sit in silence.
Organise and plan
 While I am organised in some aspects like always bringing my notes and never being late or missing a lecture, I could do with planning more before a lecture.  Try to always do the reading for the lecture before it and complete the video and discussion tasks.
 Take risks  I don’t take as many risks as I should because I’m scared of getting things wrong.
Similar to self-confidence, believe in myself more instead of always assuming I’m wrong.