Digital Technologies Module Overview

Reflecting on the past few months of the digital technologies module, it is clear that my understanding of the potential digital technologies can have in the classroom has developed greatly. At the beginning of this module, my knowledge regarding technologies was fairly limited, in my first lesson I barely knew how to navigate my computer and struggled to even log on to my glow account. Now, I have increased my knowledge and have become aware of many ideas for lessons using many different devices and apps.

Even in my own school experience I only ever remember using technology in the ICT suite or for a reward as part of ‘golden time’ despite the school having access to iPads which we never used. However, I am now aware of the huge potential digital technologies has, as it can be incorporated into many other curricular areas such as; literacy with ‘BeeBot’, mathematics with QR codes, and social studies with Minecraft.

Curriculum for Excellence has a whole range of experiences and outcomes surrounding digital technologies, this is why it should be considered a key subject area. With the advancements in technology in 2019, children are exposed to technology every day, therefore it should be implemented into more lessons to allow pupils to expand their digital skillset. Schools often have easy access to consoles or iPads, however lack in teachers who are confident in delivering a lesson based on technology due to the fact they know little about it. It has to be remembered that children will always be better with technology as it is a huge part of their lives outside of school, but the teacher’s expertise should be within the curriculum itself.

Throughout this module, I have also gained access to many teaching resources and potential lesson plans which is very useful for future placements. I am now more confident regarding my placement next year as through experiences and discussions in this module, my teaching knowledge has developed. Also, by being made aware of the many different ways to incorporate digital technologies into lessons, this proves very useful for my future teaching career.

My confidence has also improved when presenting work to the rest of the class every week. I am becoming more comfortable to share my own ideas and opinions, and I am taking constructive criticism and peer feedback on board to improve the quality of my work. I also didn’t realise the importance of collaboration at the start of this module. For my first few workshop tasks I chose to work independently as I have always preferred this. However, when working in a group I am able to share ideas with others to ensure that the final outcome is more successful. Also, due to time limits and many of the activities being fairly time consuming, working in a group ensured that there was always a finished product to share with the rest of the class.

I have found the weekly blog very beneficial in reinforcing what I have learned the previous week, and to reflect on myself in terms of new skills acquired and confidence. I would not have noticed the expansion of my digital skillset or improvement of confidence as much if I wasn’t able to record this information and read back on my blogs.

As a general overview for the module, my personal development is clear throughout. I have always struggled with technology, which is the main reason I chose this as my optional module. I am glad I did so, as I am now more confident as a student teacher regarding technologies and I am aware of the many engaging ways to incorporate digital technologies into lessons. There are many benefits to children being digitally literate in the classroom. Not only in expanding their digital skillset, but enhancing teaching and learning, which in turn allows pupils to benefit from technology and apply this to future careers and aspirations.