Our New Normal

Hiya!

I’m Katie and I started working at St Mungo’s in February. It was weird time of year to join as everyone was so busy with exam prep…life got even weirder soon after. For everyone. Within a small amount of time life changed. We can’t go outside, toilet paper has become a precious resource and for the foreseeable my couch has become my office.

Welcome to my office. Fabulous slippers optional!

If ever there was a time to take solace in reading, this is it. I’ve spent this time in lockdown practically inhaling books, getting bendy with online yoga classes and living vicariously through virtual tours of the outdoors. When our worlds become unrecognisable we must get creative to stay sane.

I tweet daily (follow me on @stmungo_library) to make you aware of all the free, online content available that can stimulate your mind + stop your brain from getting Covid-sluggish. The great things is, the online library catalogue has loads of online material, all you need is your library card. Whether its films, make-up classes or writing competitions – you have options, so get liberated!

This is also a time for planning. I’m preparing for the next year and creating lots of exciting projects and clubs as well organising author visits. When this fresh hell is over, I hope to see you in the library.

Today the library registered with INTOFILM, Possibly the coolest film club around. It’s funded by the British Film Institute (BFI). They focus on film education and they encourage schools to run film clubs. In their film clubs, pupils are in control and decide what films to show.

There are a number of incentives attached to the film clubs – they have special activities such as a course called Film Detectives  for S1 and S2 pupils which focuses on the material aspect of film and the ethical discussions around restoration.They have awards so the best film club goes to the BFI in London to attend a fancy awards show. 

INTOFILM usually send out DVDs but due to the current situation they have a created a list of films that can be streamed from home and also 50 film guides for use at home too.

The library belongs to you. Make the best use of it.

Any questions, email me: katiemcgrath@glow.ea.glasgow.sch.uk

Useful links:

https://www.intofilm.org

https://libcat.csglasgow.org/web/arena/elibrary

Access FREE online resources with your school library card

2 thoughts on “Our New Normal