Early Level Tracker: Dance

/ Dance Framework / Early LevelEarly Level Tracker

Participate in rhythm games.

Demonstrate a range of travelling steps e.g. walking, running, skipping, hopping, galloping and triplet steps – moving towards leaps and step ball change.

Demonstrate a range of turns e.g. pencil turn, step, turn, step, step, hop, step.

Demonstrate a range of jumps e.g. jumping on the spot, jumping side to side, star jumps and tuck jumps.

Demonstrate a range of arm and hand isolations.

Pause in response to the music.

Safely move between the low, medium and high levels.

Generate ideas based on a stimulus e.g. music, picture, story, sound.

Use the stimulus to generate different ideas for movements, travelling and expression.

Work with others to develop an idea for movement sequences e.g. ‘Why don’t we add this move to this one?’.

Share their thoughts and feelings about the stimulus or the ideas generated e.g. I like this, this scares me, this makes me feel…

Experience opportunities to express themselves through simple dance activities and workshops.

Begin to sequence steps together to form short routines.

Rehearse and perform short dance routines to others.

Understand the importance of being a good audience member and listen appropriately to the views of others

Comment on their own and others’ work, celebrating success and giving suggestions on how to improve

Experience a range of live and/or recorded dance, sharing thoughts and feelings, and giving reasons for likes and dislikes: ‘I liked it because…’, ‘It made me think of…’

Begin to link emotions with dance: ‘It made me feel…happy/sad/scared because…’

Express a response to Dance through other areas of Expressive Arts (Art & Design, Music, Drama) e.g. create a simple sequence of freeze frames to tell a story or express and emotion, draw a picture, use instruments to enhance an emotion or story 

Participate in a dance performance to the class, parents or in the community.

Develop basic performance techniques, for example: confidence, concentration and follow a leader.

Experience live performance as an audience member e.g. at other class performances, visiting dance group performances and visits to theatres.

Develop ability to listen and concentrate on a short performance

Celebrate the achievement of others at a performance