Music – First Level: Primary 2 – Music of Scotland

Experiences and Outcomes:
I can sing and play music from other styles and cultures, showing growing confidence and skill, while learning about musical notation and performance direction. EXA 1-16a

I can use my voice, musical instruments and music technology to discover and enjoy playing with sound, rhythm, pitch and dynamics. EXA 1-17a

Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 1-18a

I have listened to a range of music and can respond by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work. EXA 1-19a

I have experienced the energy and excitement of presenting/performing for audiences and being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/performances. EXA 1-01a

Skills:                                                                                                  

• Chant a variety of songs from Scotland and other cultures individually and as part of a group.
  • Keep a steady beat with movement and body percussion.
  • Clap and play simple rhythms using rhythm names.
  • Use percussion instruments to accompany songs or enhance a piece of music with increasing control of tempo and dynamics.
  • Use digital technology to record sounds.
  • Explore sounds made by a range of tuned and untuned percussion instruments as well as everyday objects.
  • Work individually or with a group to create soundscapes, sound effects and sound tracks in response to a variety of stimuli eg sounds, pictures, stories, videos or poems.
  • Perform sounds to go with songs, pictures, stories, poems and videos using an increasing range of body percussion, vocal effects, instruments and objects.
  • Listen to different styles of music from Scotland and other cultures and comment on musical concepts such as instruments, voices, tempo, dynamics.
  • Participate in a musical performance (solo or group) to the class, parents or in the community.

DOWNLOAD LESSON PLAN