Music – Early Level: Primary 1 – Music of Scotland

Experiences and Outcomes:
I enjoy singing and playing along to music of different styles and cultures. EXA 0-16a​

I have the freedom to use voice, musical instruments and music technology to discover and enjoy playing with sound and rhythm. EXA 0-17a​

Inspired by the range of stimuli and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feeling through musical activities. EXA 0-18a​

I can respond to music by describing my thoughts and feelings about my own and others’ work. EXA 0-19a

I have experienced the energy and excitement of presenting/performing for audiences and being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/performances. EXA 0-01a​

Skills:                                                                                                  

• Keep the beat with actions​
  • Walk to the beat​
  • Use some percussion instruments to keep a steady beat​
  • Experiment with the voice to create different sounds e.g speaking, whispering, humming​
  • Use tuned and untuned percussion instruments to begin to explore tempo and dynamics​
  • Use digital technology to capture short recordings of sound or performances​
  • Use digital technology to listen back to recordings of sounds or performances​
  • Work individually or with a group to create own soundscapes and sound effects in response to a variety of stimuli e.g sounds, pictures, stories, videos.​
  • Listen to different styles of music from Scotland and other cultures and begin to identify simple musical concepts e.g familiar instruments and voices, fast/slow, loud/quiet, high/low.​
  • Demonstrate a steady beat with an instrument, body percussion or movement when listening to a piece of music.​
    Participate in a musical performance to the class, parents or in the community.​

DOWNLOAD LESSON PLANS (Sequence of 3 Lessons)