Music – 2nd Level: BBC Ten Pieces – Mambo – Lesson 1 (Watching and Listening)

Experiences and Outcomes:
Inspired by a range of stimuli and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 2-18a

I have listened to a range of music and can respond by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work. EXA 2-19a

Lesson Outcomes
After this lesson, pupils will be able to:

• Listen and reflect on a piece of orchestral music
  • Create their own Latin inspired rhythmic ostinatos
  • Learn rhythms from Bernstein’s ‘Mambo’ and structure them into a piece
  • Perform as an ensemble
  • Learn musical language appropriate to the task

Curriculum Checklist
Learners will:

• Play and perform in ensemble contexts, using voices and playing musical instruments
  • Improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the interrelated dimensions of music
  • Listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory

Activities

Prepare your class
Explain to your class that you are going to begin a 6-week music project focusing on a fantastic piece of music by a composer called Leonard Bernstein. Explain further that the music is from a musical which tells a well-known story.

Listen to Mambo (or watch the orchestra performance film) and afterwards have a discussion about what you have seen. You might like to ask the following questions –

• Did you like the film?
  • What was your favourite part?
  • What might the music be describing?

Explain that the music is called ‘Mambo’ and is from a musical version of Romeo and Juliet. Check that your class know Shakespeare’s story and explain further that this version takes place in New York in the 1950s with Romeo and Juliet now called Tony and Maria. The Montagues and Capulets are now the Jets and the Sharks, rival gangs. (You could watch the film with Pixie Lott at this point to reinforce these ideas).

Listening task

Give out sheets of paper to everyone and as they listen again, ask them to draw the section of the story it might be describing. Give them three options to choose from. Does it describe:

• Tony and Maria falling in love?
  • The Jets and the Sharks fighting?
  • Everyone dancing at a party?

There is no ‘correct’ answer for this, it actually describes all three things. In the original show and film, the Mambo happens during a dance. Everyone is dancing but the two gangs are pitted against one another. At the end Tony and Maria meet for the first time.

Play a recording of Mambo in full. Its better if there are no images to look at now, we just want them to listen and draw. Perhaps play the recording two or three times to give them time to finish their pictures.

Discuss their artwork and show some to the class. Tell them that all of their efforts are correct because it is what they imagined whilst they listened. Then explain what happens in the show and film at this point.

FINALLY, if you have time left in your lesson and space in your classroom, encourage your class to have a go at dancing to the Mambo too. By now, they should at least be able to shout ‘Mambo’ at the right time!

Additional resources and a more detailed lesson plan can be found here on the BBC Ten Pieces website;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/ten-pieces/classical-music-leonard-bernstein-mambo-west-side-story/zd9cscw