Monthly Archives: January 2019

Global Citizenship Learning homework…

In order to design our community for our topic, we must research specific habitats (mountains, deserts, coral reefs, canyons, volcanoes, beaches, rainforest, valleys etc) and record the following notes about them;

-what is the environment like? (Aesthetically, what does it look like?) screenshot pictures or draw sketches for this part.

-what is the climate like?

-what plants and animals flourish here?

Remember to be creative in the way you present this information and if you wish to send me PowerPoints or videos or photographs, my email address is gw17cohennadine@glow.ea.glasgow.sch.uk

GOOD LUCK!

Miss Cohen πŸ™‚

Road Safety Play; Baldy Bane brilliance once again!

The Baldy Bane theatre company came to perform a play on Road Safety today. They performed using a technique called β€œForum theatre”.

A pencil for a hideout, when I draw I feel relaxed ; Saad K

A hideout in a tree with a secret passcode – Ross (Class 1)

A secret place where I go with my cousins. I can’t tell you the location… – Lulu, P6/7

In the play, Ronnie and Jack are going to share a bike to get to school. Jack offers Ronnie a β€œbacky”. Β Jack is a stuntman…but is this a good, rational, responsible idea?

We asked Jack our questions

Is it really that cool not being safe?

Are you trying to act cool to get girls?

Why did you want to become a stuntman?

Do you not care about your health?

What if you hurt yourself, would that be cool?

Do you think you’re indestructible?

What could we wear to be safe?

*reflective sports jacket

*a brightly coloured jacket

*cut and upcycle it onto your bag

*bright laces/trainers

After much reflection, Jack and Ronnie took our advice on board and thought of responsible alternatives.

Thank you BB, another excellent show!

Who says soft play isn’t fun?!

Abernethy Snowy “Reki”

For our first time getting organised and into waterproof clothes, it took us 20 mins and then around 10 mins to take the wet layers off – Mimi

I liked the game we played at the logs – it was slippy but really good overtaking someone if they slowed down – Saleeha

So like we worked together to de-layer; wellie boots we helped each other take them off – Sakeena

How to actually stay on logs and balance yourself so you don’t fall on the ice – Saad K

I thought what was really fun was the snowball fight because we kept on hitting each other and we all started getting a bit more competitive at the beginning, and then we formed teams – Ryan

I really wanted to go on the pitch because everything was flat and you could see your opponents if you had a snowball war – Salahudin

Really satisfying – Hafsa

You know when you stand on the snow, it sounds like A-S-M-R; Laiba

It would’ve been nicer if we had sledges to slide down – Zainab

It was fun sliding down the hill on your bum – Abeera

In the future, we should tuck skirts and trousers into wellie boots and waterproofs so they don’t get wet – Dilya

The snow will turn into water and wet your jeans – Saad S

We could maybe go into two teams, have two battle grounds, Miss Cohen will say “Cease fire” when everyone’s bases are finito – Saad K

It was really fun when you stood and slid down the hill – Anum

Scots Language Homework

Today in class, we were discussing and learning new Scots language for particular phrases, parts of the body, feelings, common words etc. Can you try and translate the following extract from the famous Roald Dahl novel, ‘The Eejits’?;

The Gless Ee. Ye can play hunners o tricks wi a gless ee because ye can tak it oot and pap it back in again ony time ye like. Ye can bet yer life Mrs Eejit kent aw the tricks. Wan mornin she took oot her gless ee and drapped it intae Mr Eejit’s joog o ginger when he wisnae lookin. Mr Eejit sat there slowly sookin his juice. The faem made a white ring on the hairs aroond his mooth. He dichted the white faem ontae his sark sleeve and dichted his sark sleeve and dichted his sark sleeve on his breeks. ‘Ye’re up tae nae guid,’ Mrs Eejit said, keepin her back tae him sae he widnae see she had taen her gless ee oot. ‘Whenever you haud yer wheesht like that, I ken fine weel that ye’re up tae nae guid.’ Mrs Eejit wis richt. Mr Eejit wis schemin awa like billy-o. He wis tryin tae think up a honkin trick he could play on his wife the day. In a major new departure for Itchy Coo, Matthew Fitt has taken a classic of modern children’s literature and retold it in modern Scots. Nobody could really improve on Roald Dahl’s story of the revolting Twits and the ghastly tricks they play on each other and how the Muggle-Wump monkeys and the birds take revenge for the way the Twits have mistreated them.But the Scots language is so vibrant and exciting and so well suited to describing the sheer nastiness of Mr and Mrs Eejit, that Fitt’s version reads like a new book. It will delight Scottish adults and youngsters alike – everyone will fall about laughing at the twists and turns of this wonderful tale told in their own tongue.

Good luck!

Miss Cohen