Letter from Carrie Lindsay, Executive Director of Education & Children’s Services, Fife Council
5 March 2020
Dear Parent / Carer
I understand many people may be feeling anxious as we continue to hear about the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). However, despite the precautionary measures that governments and local authorities are now taking, health professionals are reminding us that the risk to individuals remains low.
Public health advice is clear that schools do not need to close and pupils should attend as normal.
Fife Council is working closely with Fife Health & Social Care Partnership, NHS Fife and Health Protection Scotland to monitor and respond to the national situation. I’m in regular contact with Fife’s headteachers and we will continue to work with health agencies to make sure we’re giving schools the most up to date advice.
The safety and wellbeing of everyone in our schools community is always our top priority.
If your family has travelled in an affected area, follow the NHS advice and contact your school if you need to self-isolate. Please be aware that speculation is rife about the coronavirus and not everything you read online or in newspapers may be accurate. The most up to date information can be found at www.nhsinform.scot/coronavirus
The main things we can all do to help prevent the spread of viruses like this is to:
- avoid direct hand contact with your eyes, nose and mouth
- wash hands with soap and water regularly throughout the day, particularly:
- after coughing or sneezing
- after going to the toilet
- before eating and drinking
- cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing with disposable tissues and dispose of them in the nearest waste bin after use
- avoid direct contact with people that have a respiratory illness and avoid using their personal items such as their mobile phone
All our schools will be promoting these basic hygiene messages with children and young people. Please reinforce them at home too.
The council will update information and advice about the local impact of the virus at www.fife.gov.uk/coronavirus
Thank you for your cooperation and support.
Carrie Lindsay Executive Director, Education & Children’s Services