Scottish internationalist

Following an intensive selection process, Owen Andrew (S6) has been selected to represent the Scottish Schools’ Football Association’s under 18 squad for the forthcoming season.  Owen will form part of a squad which contains some of the top footballing talent in the country.  The squad will compete in a home nation’s competition over the coming months.

Owen, who plays his club football for Kelty Hearts FC, captains the Bell Baxter Under 18 football squad.  His performances for club, school and for Fife Schools select earned him an invitation to the final selection process at Toryglen where his performances impressed the selectors enough to secure a place in the 18 man squad.

Owen, delighted with his news, had this to say, “I am absolutely delighted to have been selected in the final squad.  The standard was so high, and it’s a real honour for me.  I am really looking forward to meeting up with the squad, getting to know everyone and to begin the preparation for the games ahead.  I have been working very hard on my game for the past couple of years and this is just a fantastic reward.  I can’t wait to get started.  “

Head of PE, David Lowrie shared his delight for Owen, “This is a fantastic achievement for Owen and one that we are all very proud of here at Bell Baxter.  This has not come without hard work, and the recognition for Owen’s commitment and dedication to club and school football is well deserved.  Owen is an excellent role model for the young people of Bell Baxter and, hopefully, he will encourage others to push themselves to perform at this level.  With the school team well placed in their current league and cup campaigns, this could be a fantastic season for Owen to sign off his six years at Bell Baxter”.

The squad came together on the 20th and 21st of December to prepare for their upcoming Nations Cup competition in early 2019.

Mr D. Lowrie
[CL, Health & Wellbeing]

Photograph © Scottish Schools’ Football Association