Summer Term 2020

This is a very different start to the summer term !

Mrs Dunnett and Mrs Duncan have been missing you all 🙁

We have enjoyed receiving  your news via the emails that families have been sending in to balmullops.enquiries@fife.gov.uk.   We have been replying to each email received recognising the learning and sharing ideas for next steps.

We will post a selection of photographs received from families on the blog  maintaining privacy by not identifying the children in the photographs. Please advise if  you would prefer your photographs not to appear on the site. 

We received lots of lovely examples of children learning outdoors  through play.

Developing numeracy /gross motor skills/turn taking playing hopscotch.

Being creative/ problem solving/ story telling.

Using the outdoor environment as a stimulus for art.

Olivia is creating  her own book of flowers developing her emergent writing skills and sharing her knowledge about the features of books.

Offering a variety of tools and materials to create helps the children to develop their fine motor and pre writing skills as they represent some of their ideas and learn to communicate information.

These experiences through play directly relate to the curriculum development we normally record in your child’s Personal Learning Plan.

Early Level Writing

‘I can make marks on paper and other surfaces using different materials’

‘I can explore making shapes, patterns and symbols’ Lit 21b

‘I am beginning to use a variety of tools for mark making to communicate my information’

‘I can make marks and symbols on paper and other surfaces to represent some of my ideas and communicate information’ Lit 9b, 26a,31a

‘I am beginning to attempt to make marks and symbols that are familiar to me’

‘I can write some letters that are familair to me -e.g. letters from my name’ Lit 12, 13, 21a

We had some lovely examples of children exploring craft, design and engineering as they used different materials to construct models.

We are looking forward to sharing your learning next week. Maybe you saw something interesting on a walk or in a story. Mrs Duncan saw  a funny little door. Who might live in this tree? Could you use your imagination and draw a picture of the character and what inside might look like ?  Do you know any stories where the characters live in a tree?

Family Learning Fun

We hope you have all been enjoying the moments of sunshine.

Learning opportunities in the garden are a great way to enjoy getting fresh air in addition to our daily outdoor exercise session.

A paint brush and water are great for mark making – explore this by making shapes and patterns to challenge each other’s skills. Take the opportunity to highlight what you see – “A triangle with 3 sides…”

Prompt the children to share  and develop their learning…where has your picture gone?…leading to early science discussions about evaporation.

Make transient art outdoors using sticks, stones and shells.

The Bookbug app is great to sing along with and for checking the lyrics and tunes for new rhymes and songs. The children love leading the ‘Sing it Bag’ sessions at nursery – why not build up your own bag of song prompts over this period – you could use small toys/ household items or a drawing .

Can you guess the rhyme for this picture?

Layla sent in this brilliant picture for a Bookbug favourite song – can you guess it?

(Answer at the bottom of the post)

Thursday 12noon  2nd April 2020

Watch Blair Drummond Safari Park Live -meet the meercats!

Last week one of the nursery children had her question answered during the discussion – VERY exciting.

https://facebook.com/blairdrummondSP/vide

More animal fun!!!

Great to hear families are sharing links on the Parents Facebook Page – please get in touch if you are not on the closed parents facebook group.

Google search for an animal. You just click view in 3d and then it gives you an option to view in your own space

Answer :Here is the Beehive Song