Nursery Transition Playground Experiences

The nursery children accompanied by their P6 Buddy and a member of the nursery team will have the opportunity to share playground experiences with the current P1 children. The children can bring a small snack if they wish (e.g. cut fruit/ treat size snack).

Morning Session 10.40 a.m. to 10.55 a.m.

Afternoom Session 1.00 p.m. to 1.25 p.m.

Wednesday 31st May 2017

Friday 9th June 2017

Monday 12th June 2017

Thursday 22nd June 2017

Playground Experience 31st May 2017

The nursery children enjoyed their first playground experience. They were building confidence becoming familiar with a new environment and sharing space with older children.

Saul shared.

“It was exciting and good. I played ‘Hide and Seek’ and ‘Tig’.

Freya described her visit.

” I played ‘Duck Duck Goose with Mya.”

Brodie had great fun.

“I was jumping on and off the tyre with my buddy.”

We are becoming familiar with new routines. We can bring our own small snack and we learned to join the line and return to class.

Lennon discussed his experience with Mrs Coggins.

” We played ‘DuckDuck Goose’. I liked playing with all the children.”

The P6 buddies supported the children and encouraged the nursery and P1 children to play together.

Outdoor Fun Day – Buddy, Parent and Nursery Child

The nursery will be holding an outdoor fun afternoon on Friday 19th May from 2-3pm when children going to P1 will enjoy activities with their P6 buddies. Parents are invited along to join us which will give them the opportunity to meet their child’s buddy and spend some time with them.

Please come to the nursery door to collect your child or meet us in the grass area beside the nursery garden at 2pm. We look forward to seeing you.

Should you be unable to attend, please speak to the nursery team and an alternative time can be arranged for you to meet your child’s buddy.

Nursery Transition visit to Primary 1 Soft Start

The nursery pre school children joined Primary 1 during their Soft Start on Tuesday morning. The nursery children were shown around the classroom by a Primary 1 buddy. Harry from Primary 1 explained.

“A buddy is someone who could be your friend.”

Freya asked questions about Primary 1 and wanted to see the library and asked her buddy to read a story to her.

The children engaged in different areas of learning with their buddy.

The nursery children reflected on their experience.

Saul said.

” I liked Primary 1 because I’m going there soon. I was having a great time. I liked the painting.”

Harry added.

” I liked the home corner.”

Jaisleen made friends.

“I liked in the home corner with Lewis.”

Toby described Primary 1.

“Fun because you go on little computers and do science.”

Learning Wall – Growing

The children are following their interest in growing on the current Learning Wall ( displayed in the nursery room). During our walks around the village we noticed lots of plants growing. We planted potatoes in the garden and this stimulated lots of discussion about growing – what we already know and what we would like to learn about.

Emily shared her knowledge.

“Babies grow when they drink mummy’s milk.”

Toby shared.

“My feet grew and I need new shoes.”

Brodie asked. “What makes us grow?”

The children tried to measure how much they have grown leading our learning into measuring and comparing on a height chart.

Thinking about other things that grow Kyle shared he knows.

“Caterpillars grow into butterflies.”

He wondered.

“What happens inside a cocoon?”

We will begin investigating with our growing net containing tiny caterpillars the children are fascinated.

Ben described what is happening on the farm.

“My daddy is planting potatoes…they go in the ground and grow.”

Freya asked.

“How do beans grow?”

Archie, Saul and Freya planted bedding plants at the entrance.

Jaisleen suggested.

“I would like to grow beans. You need seeds. You could get some at Tesco.”

Watch this space!

STEAM Transition Visit to Primary 1

The nursery children had the opportunity to visit Primary 1 and work together on STEAM projects.  As a stimulus we read “The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch.”  The children then worked together on designing a pulley system for transporting using a variety of materials.

At the forest the nursery children implemented their ideas. Using a trial and error strategy they realised the string had to be anchored higher at one end to create a slope. They tried cardboard tubes and wooden blocks to help the container glide down the string.

In the nursery the children created their own sandwiches as suggested in the story.

Bookbug Dates

All families in the community are welcome to attend Balmullo Nursery Bookbug Sessions.  A fun way to promote early learning  developing confidence, self esteem, numeracy and literacy.

Monday 8th May (am only)

Monday 15th May

Monday 22nd May

9.15am till 9.45am

And

12.45pm till 1.15pm

Beach Kindergarten Dates

We will restart our visits to the Beach Kindergarten giving the children the opportunity to explore the beach environment, look at the rock pools and investigate the shore line.

AM Sessions ( 9.15 am til 11.30 am)

Tuesday 16th May

Tuesday 23rd May

Tuesday 3oth May

Tuesday 6th June

PM Sessions (1.00 pm til 3.15 pm)

Thursday 18th May

Thursday 25th May

Thursday 1st June

Friday 23rd June

PEEP Sessions May 2017

Thank you for the expression of interest in the next PEEP sessions. After consultation with families a block of 4 sessions have been arranged. The themes we cover are flexible and are planned around what you are interested in and where each session develops. We have linked the sessions with the nursery to Primary 1 transition.

Below are the dates and themes we have arranged. Each session begins promptly at 10 am and lasts for approximately an hour.

We look forward to seeing you.

Friday 5th May 2017 -Thinking and Talking

Friday 12th May 2017 – Maths Adventures

Friday 19th May 2017 – Making the Most of Books

Friday 26th May 2017 – Becoming a Reader

Buddy Visits to Nursery

As part of Balmullo Primary and Nursery transition arrangements each pre-school child is matched to a Primary 6 pupil who will be their buddy. The older children take great pride in this responsibility helping to guide the younger children in the transition process developing their own leadership skills. They explored the nursery and this week they met their nursery buddies. Information with dates of events is included in the Transition to Nursery booklet which all families have been given. The pre-school nursery children will also visit the playground later in the term accompanied by their Primary 6 buddy and nursery staff. Dates will follow. Nursery children can bring their own small snack to enjoy in the playground.