Gothic Homework: Film

So you think you could be a film maker, huh? If you choose this assignment, then you will be expected to produce a short film (anything over one minute) that explores Gothic themes and ideas. Can I please remind you that this is not a Horror film – we are dealing with something a little different. Remember you work will be assessed on how “Gothic” it is – if you stray too far from the tropes and markers found in Gothic literature and film, then you may struggle to show the people viewing your work that you understand what we mean by the term “Gothic”.

You may produce your own idea or a version of The Raven. You do not have to produce a whole film (an opening would be good), but must produce enough to show you understand your subject. You could film your own idea, or produce a video “mash-up” using Creative Commons licensed videos. My rushed, not very good example is here.

You can edit your video how you like, but Windows Movie Maker and the Video Editor on YouTube should do the trick.

Your final video should be uploaded to YouTube and be in an appropriate channel. If you already have a YouTube channel full of stuff you wouldn’t want me to see, I suggest you create a new username and profile for this. I also suggest that you make the video only available for those with the link and make a note of the link (or send it to yourself by email).

Here are some useful websites and resources:

Gothic Tropes A list of ideas and themes explored in pieces of Gothic literature and film. It could help.

Camera Shots A pdf file of different camera shots.

Free Sounds Fairly self evident what you will find here!

Free Music Archive …again! Try searching for Horror – I found some decent stuff.

So there you go. Please bear in mind that you do not want to infringe any copyright, so be careful where you get your stuff from.

Good luck!