Greer's Learning Hub

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – Falkirk site

May 31, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Rotary Challenge Friday 24th May 🤸🏻‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

On Friday, the P7s from the cluster schools went to the Grangemouth Stadium to have a Rotary Challenge. We got split into teams with the other schools. I was in team 4. There were 8 activities that we went around. The first one was there was a ” radioactive bomb” that we had to take out a box without it touching the floor. There were other activities, such as tug of war, memory game, puzzles, go carts, blind tennis, human nought and Port and Starboard. There was 2 teams that did each activity and it was a competition between them. If you won you got a point and if you didn’t you obviously didn’t get a point. At the end, all of the points for your team were added up. There were four teams that got seven so they had to complete and obstacle course. Team 15 won! It was a fun morning!!

May 10, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Friday 5th- Tuesday 9th

Hi! It has been quite a while since my last blog…. So I have quite a lot to talk about.

Class Talk

We have started a new thing where we are making an atlas with every single county inside. So, Miss Stobie typed up all the countries and put them into a red box and every Friday we have to pick a country out. My first country was Vatican City. At first I had no clue what it was! I researched it and on Friday I was really confident speaking about it. This Friday I am speaking about Denmark. Hopefully it goes well!

High School

On Monday we were having an induction day at the High School. I was really excited and it was really fun. At 8am my friends and I walked up and was there for 8:30. When school started we headed into the assembly hall to get given our stickers which had what we were doing today and our lunch cards. I found out in was in Carron which is one of the houses. We went round different classes and got told the things they did. We also had a tour. The food was GREAT! For lunch I had a Panini and cake! YUM!  There was some entertainment and Mr Cockburn’s awful jokes! The school finished a bit earlier than our school does. It finished at 14:40 instead of 15:15. It was really fun!

Library

On Tuesday we went to the library in the afternoon. We learned about Grangemouth’s history by a man named Jeff.  We learned about Grangemouth’s airport that used to be here during the war.We made paper planes and had a race to see who’s went the furthest.

April 19, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

My Easter Holidays

My Holidays

For the first week of the Easter Holidays, my mum and dad weren’t off, so I was with my grandparents houses on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. We never went away anywhere we just did some days here and there.

The second week we had a day in St Andrews to see my Auntie Irene who lives there. We went out for lunch, went and got an ice cream from Jennettas Ice Cream Parlour and then went shopping. I really enjoyed it!!  I also saw loads of my friends during the holidays which I really enjoyed!

We went for walks with my dog a lot. On one of the walks, we took him to a forest near Tully Allan called Devilla Forest. There were lots of trails and we waked for miles!

I really enjoyed my Easter holidays!

March 29, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Wednesday 22 March- Wednesday 29th March

French

On Wednesday we started to do our French counting. We have been learning on how to count up to 70 in French.  It was really difficult because we were mixing up the numbers and it took us around 2 minutes long to complete.

Space

We have been learning about our topic a lot lately! We were learning about Tim Peake, the astronaut who travelled to the International Space Station (ISS) for 6 months. We watched videos on how to do every day essential things eg. Brush your teeth! We also learned about rockets and the rocket disasters. There were 2 main rocket disasters that had happened, the Columbus and the Challenger. We watched videos on both disasters. The Columbus was on its way up and exploded into flames which was quite scary to watch! And it happened on live T.V too!!

Responsibility Groups

On Monday, it was our responsibility group meetings. All the House Captains and their Vice Captains come to Mrs Dickson’s room to talk about what we are going to talk about at the next meeting. We decided that the next house meeting was going to be a quiz morning. We had different questions and different categories for the different primarys. Afterwards we went down to Mrs Tait to tell her our ideas. She liked them, but asked us to work on our board so the leaders stayed in at break and worked on them and now they look great!

March 23, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Wednesday 15th March- Wednesday 22nd March

Rotary Quiz

On Thursday, we had a mini quiz to see who would compete in the real one the next day. There was eight categories and 10 questions in each. I was really nervous because I wanted to do well. After a while everyone had to count up their scores and see who would be the 4 people competing. James, Charlotte and Angus all had the same score which was 46  and Summer and I came joint with a score of 40. So Summer and I had to have a decider question. Excitedly, I won and got into the team!!

The next again afternoon, we were waiting nervously sanding outside the Assembly Hall. We went in and sat at our school table. Our mums and dads were there to cheer us on! Then the other schools came (Bowhouse and Beancross)  and it was really pressurising because Bowhouse had won 2 years in a row. There was the same amount of questions of the previous quiz. We had given our final answers to the judges and we were waiting patiently. Then they announced the winners, Bowhouse 3rd…… Beancross 2nd…… AND MORAY CAME 1ST!!| It was so fun to take part in! We got given a trophy and certificates each.

Maths games.

On Monday it was Platinum groups turn to have a go at making maths games. Our theme was percentages which was quite difficult to think of an idea for a game that people from all the groups could take part in, as not everyone has learned about percentages. It was really good too see the other ideas people had came up with and they were all quite different. My idea was a bit of a board game idea, where you had to find the percentage of the fraction that was shown. I think I made it quite difficult because some of the groups had to use calculators but other than that I think everyone enjoyed it. Here is a picture of the games.

Constellations

On Monday we also learned about constellations. It was really interesting and we made our own!  My constellation was my dog. I made it him because I couldn’t live without him!

March 16, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Belmont 2017!

BELMONT 2017

Belmont was amazing! Our first day was very tiring but great. After we had got of the bus and given our suitcases we got told which dorms we were going to be in. I was in Glamis 1 with the girls in my class. Our dorm teacher was Mrs McKean which all the girls were very happy about! We just kept the dorms to classes. I was sharing a bunk with Mel but Charlotte, Katie Mel and I were separate to all the other girls which was fun. We were getting unpacked until we had been called to go to the Assembly Hall to find out our groups. I was in Group 7. From Moray, there was Nathan, Daud, Claire and I. From Bowhouse, there was Limario, Tegan, Mark and Karina and then from Beancross was Gregor, Cameron and Ethan. Our instructor was Ewan and he was so fun!! We also had a volunteer from Canada called Zachary.Our first activity was the Crate Climb. It was a really good activity but REALLY wobbly! I had got 8 and a half crates high because they all had fallen down at one point.Karina was amazing at it and got 12 crates high!We then headed straight for dinner and afterwards had our night time activity. We mixed groups and played a game called Pirates and Travellers which was fun.Every night we always went to our classroom and wrote in our diaries. After classroom everyone was excited for hot chocolate at supper.It was yum! We just went straight back into our dorms after supper and all got into our jammies! Our lights were off at 10:30 and to be SILENT 11:00 I think!

All the days were mostly the same but different activities. My favourite activity was the Pole Climb but I was really nervous at first but I was so proud of myself that I had done it. The aim of the Pole Climb was to climb up a tall pole and jump of and hit the ball and then float down to the ground. You had to put all of your trust in your group because they were the ones holding the ropes!

This shows what it looks like at the top of the Pole! my first try I jumped off and never hit the ball but the second time I did which was a great achievement for me.

DISCO

The disco was so fun. All the girls had there make-up on and very so excited. We all had great fun! They played Twenty-One Pilots which is my favourite band which was amazing. During the disco each school got called to supper and then went back. We had a dance off between the schools to the song ‘Juju on Dat Beat’ which is like the in song right now!

Last Day

On our last day everyone was really sad because we wouldn’t be seeing each other for another 3 and a half months. We got ready for our first activity which was Tree Climb. Only 4 people out of 11 rang the bell at the top of the tree which was 12 meters high! When it was my turn I was really nervous so I set myself a goal which was 8 meters high. It was really nerve-racking climbing because the wooden blocks you needed to stand on and hold on to were really small and hard to grip onto. I got to 8 meters and achieved my goal which I was proud of.We went and had lunch before saying goodbye to our leaders and friends from other schools. It was great to get home and see our families!

I loved Belmont so much and made lots of new friends!! 🙂

Take a look at my Belmont video in the link below!

https://youtu.be/enaajppe7Dk

March 1, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

15th February – 1st March

15th February 2017

Planets

We have been learning about space for about past month. Our main focus over the past week or so was the types of planets in our Solar System. First, we were learning about the Rocky Planets, which are the closest planets to the Sun. It was really fun when we measured what the size the planets would be if the Sun was a metre in diameter. We did this with the Gas Giants also but not the Dwarf Planets. For homework, we all made posters about the planets in our solar System to go up on the wall.

French Restaurant

We have been doing French for a long time so what we have decided to do is make a French restaurant. Everyone made menus and we all made our meals. Today the Primary 5s are coming to have a meal. I hope they enjoy it!

Here is a picture of Charlotte, Angus and I making our Main Courses

Harry Potter 

For Literacy Week, we are reading a class novel Harry Potter. we have been reading around 1-2 chapters each day and we are just about to start chapter 11. we have also been doing some Harry Potter related lessons. We made Mr Olivander’s wand shop at the top of the stairs. Kyle, Madison and Angus drew Mr Olivander and the other class made Harry. We also made our own wands to go on the wall display to look like they were actually in the shop. We haven’t finished the book yet but hopefully will soon!

February 8, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Monday 6th- Wednesday 8th

Monday 6th February

Ghost Tower

Hi! On Monday we read/finished the last chapter of Ghost Tower by Andrew G Taylor. It was very exciting to find out what happened. I liked the book but I thought it was quite predictable at the end of each chapter. The genre of the book is Sci-Fi. After we read the last chapter we got split into groups and made freeze frames about the book. 20170206_150337 This is a picture of my group acting out a spider scene. I was with Melissa and Regan. 🙂

Tuesday 7th January

Galaxies

Yesterday we got split into teams to learn about types of galaxies. After we got split into our teams we got given a picture to complete a See, Think, Wonder task for.  After we completed that task, we watched a few videos on how many galaxies there are in our Universe!!

gg

What I have enjoyed

This week I enjoyed our P.E. lesson because Miss Clarkson put music on during our lesson. We played Animal Bench Ball and I was in a team with Danielle, Eva, Aaliyah and Emma. It was so fun!!

February 1, 2017
by User deactivated
0 comments

Wednesday 25th-Wednesday 1st

My P7 Burns Supper

On Friday the 27th of January 2017 the Primary 7s held a Burns Supper. There were invited guests from each class who sat at the top table.  20170127_133032This is a picture of my table.

Angus gave the opening speech and welcomed everyone in. Then Danielle and Conor gave Address to the Haggis after it was piped in by the piper. Next Lauren, Emma, Euan and Nathan said their Address to the Lassies and Laddies. Then Brooke gave the Selkirk Grace and we had our meal. After our meal, the poetry winners from each class to tell us our poems. At the end of the Burns Supper we all sang Auld Lang Syne.

Space Topic

The start of this week we started our Space topic. First of all we learned about the Big Bang. The Big Bang happened around 13.8 billion years ago making the Universe become the Universe. If the Big Bang didn’t happened we wouldn’t be here. We used a website to understand how big the Universe actually is. This is a website link …

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Image result for galaxy

Here is a picture of a galaxy. I can’t wait to find out more about space.