More Money Week

Hi! Andrew F here! I am here to write about what my group has done this week. First of all, in my group is me, Kian and Jack.

On Monday we had to set up a company. We had to name the company, think of roles, think of a slogan and design a logo. To the left is a picture of my groups logo. Our roles were these, Kian was the App designer, Jack was the salesman an d I was the engineer ( I designed the phone).

On Tuesday we had to go online and look at different phones and their features. Then we had to look at the prices  and say if they were worth their money.

On Wednesday we had to think of prices for phones if we could choose the price. We had to compare prices between Pay as you Go vs Contract.

Yesterday (Thursday) we had to design our own phone. Here is a picture of ours. We had to design features such as apps. We had to then decide on a price and say why it was worth the money. My groups reason was that we took quality features from other phones and made them into one phone.

Today we have to do a presentation in front of our parents about what we did this week.

Throughout the week we also had to help our buddies in P1 with their money week. They were doing coins from 1p to £2. They went to a funfair in a room in the school, and done activities which each cost money. This helped improve their knowledge of coins whilst they had fun.

Money Week-Tuesday-part 2

Mason here again. I’m back and we are currently in the computer suite looking at phones. I have some photos!

These are the phones we got from the carphone warehouse.

None of these are the people in our class except from the fifth one from the left on the bottom row.

That’s our teachers phone I think.

The phones above are newer than this one! 

We are playing Bingo here with our buddies.

We are in the computer suite at the moment. I am going to take some pics right now.

Stephen and his friends have been looking at this phone and Jay is looking at phones on the computer.

Money Week-Tuesday

Hi everyone,its Mason again.Today we have been looking at phones and continueing on our Phone Groups.We got some phones and brought our own phones in and layed them down on a table.We also went to help our buddies(P1’s) and played money games.At the moment some people are at a basketball tournament and others are doing something else.Have to go now,bye!

Money Week-Monday

Hi, Mason here! I will be telling you what our class will be doing this week.The reason I am not working with my class is because I am going on holiday on Wedensday. Anyway, lets begin!Today is Monday. Today we have to…

• Set up a phone company

• Choose a Company Name

• Design a logo

• Assign Roles

• Slogan for company.

• Make a poster with this infrormation

I have been noseying about and over heard some groups talking

C.G.C.K.D-phones have been designing phones.They’re working hard and agreeing with people.

RSRL have been designing a logo.The people in their group have been doing their own little job.

S-RON have been making a logo and slogan. They are going to get far, I can tell.

Auto Phone have been doing lots of different jobs! They have got through it quick.

Personal-Eyes have been doing lots and are about to design their poster. Pretty quick aswell

LOL calls got their slogan and also are starting to do the poster.There slogan is…call me!

At the moment we are in the computer suite reasearching and looking at phones for some ideas.We are all having fun.I asked some people what they like about it.

Molly and Elisha “like how they can design their own phones”

Ryan L “likes how he can use his phone for ideas in class”

Join me back tomorrow, as it will be my last day of school this term.

Thank you!

The Results Are In!!

Now that was hard work!!! We gathered together all the questionnaires and discussed how we were going to record the results. We used tally marks to help keep a record of how many people had answered what question – and what their answers were! We also decided that we wanted to record the boys’ and girls’ results separately. We’ll publish the graphs later!!

Bullying Survey – Data Collecting

The Maths Class have the job of collecting and presenting all the data about bullying in our school. We decided to conduct a survey of the P3 – P7’s to try to get an overall picture of what was happening. We will post our graph tomorrow.

The next thing we needed to do was develop a questionnaire for the different stages so that we could analyse where and when the bullying was taking place. We also wanted to know what sort of bullying was most common and who it was being reported to. We also wanted to ask how the pupils felt when they were bullied. When we have collected all the data, we will publish the results on our Blog.

We included a plan of our school playground with our questionnaires so that it would be easier to identfy bullying trouble spots!

In our Math class today, we learned about eqivalent fractions. After working from the textbook page, we went to our Computer Suite and tried to compete against the others in our group to get the best score on a great website that Mrs V heard about on her Charter Teacher course. The website is Fraction Frenzy!

We wrote about how well we did in our PBwikispaces.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Concept Mapping

A few of the pupils in the Math class have been revising some work before sitting their level D test again …. so we’ve all been thinking about fractions, percentages and decimals.

While I worked with the smaller group, I asked the rest of the class to help me with my Charter Teacher studies by producing their own Concept Maps to show the link between these three areas. None of us have made Concept Maps, but the pupils kindly agreed to help me with my studies. I’ve included a selection of the concepts maps that were made today. You can click on the pictures to make them bigger.

We enjoy receiving comments on our posts.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Problem Solutions

Himalayan Expedition Problem

The bridge can carry a maximum load of 200kg – there are 2 climbers with rucksacks each weighing 95kg. There are 3 porters, each weighing 70kg. 5 large supply packs weigh 18kg each and a porter can carry 2 packs. Work out how they can cross the bridge in less than 5 trips.

Some groups made models, some groups drew diagrams and some used a combination of both. We voted for the best 2 ‘presentations’ and made a video of them for our Blog. James is the cameraman!

The Videos
The winning groups were The Formulas (click here to view) and The Denominators (viewed here)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Catch Up Post

The Math class have been working very hard.

We’ve been setting the ‘ground rules’ for what makes a good collaborative class.

We’ve also managed to replace all our faulty mp3 players and we’re ready to make more podcasts!

We’re going to make our first video tomorrow to explain our ‘journey to the answer’ as we give our group solutions for solving a version of a classic problem.

……. And we’re also getting used to using our new WebCam – exciting times!!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Podcasting

It’s super that the pupils are enjoying making the podcasts so much …….. there is a problem with the quality though – especially when compared with the first one made with another make of MP3 player. We’re working on this!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

First pupil post …. First Parent Post!!

Tessie (I’m guessing!) wrote:

hi. i am in your maths group and it is so fun using the mp3’s. i actually look forward to maths now. i used to hate it!! now i love going and working in my group and recording podcasts!!!!

Then she wrote:

hi!!! the podcasts r really gd and i enjoyed listening to them. i am upset tht i couldnt be there but i am away. please tell brenna and nicola tht i am sorry!!!!!

Karen Harvey said…

I think the maths blog and problem solving mp3’s are a fantastic idea. Brenna is enjoying maths more than ever and feels that she is improving her problem solving skills.We have noticed such a difference in her confidence regarding maths and feel that is down to participation in this project and the thought of helping others to understand maths problems.Keep up the good work!!!!!

Thank you – your comments are very appreciated ….. in fact, they’re the whole point!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Maths Groups are Named and Up and Running!

We’ve had a busy few days in the math class. Some of us have successfully uploaded our podcasts on to our wikispace page ….. we need to work on making them a bit clearer by editing them on Audacity (any parent or helper with expertise in this area?? PLEASE get in touch).

The Formulas seem to be really enjoying their new way of working!

The Axes are very proud of the fact that they were first to manage to work out how to include a podcast on their page – well done!

The Calculators are the brainy ones? 🙂

The Protractors look set for action.

The Denominator team are already very well organised.

Why not visit all of our wikispace pages? We plan to update them on a regular basis.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Learning About the Technology Bit

Today we tackled quite an easy problem from our SHM textbook so that we could concentrate on the ‘technology bit’.
We met up in our groups and discussed our methods for solving the problem …….the journey to the answer! bit…..

We decided what to include in our podcast – made the recording – then edited it on ‘Audacity’ before uploading the podcast to our wikispace.

Well done to Stuart for being the first to successfully manage the whole process with limited advice!!

Lots more to follow – group names and their meanings .. group photos and more podcasts!

Off to a Flying Start!

We had a busy Math class hour today.
First of all we had to make some rules ….. working collaboratively can seem very noisy – and some people can get over-excited!!

However, we’ve made some rules and everyone in the group has a job. There’s a ‘secretary‘ who writes down ideas, a ‘manager‘ who keeps everyone on task, and a ‘reporter‘ whose job it is to report back on the groups’ findings.

We worked independently at first …. then met up with group members to discuss how we had approached the problem.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Math Class Experiment!

I’m looking forward to our new experiment in the P7V math class. It’s a great co-incidence that I’ve recently enrolled in my Chartered Teacher Numeracy module, and I’m getting lots of ideas from listening to and taking part in some great online ‘discussions’ about the way forward in this area.

The pupils have chosen their ‘problem solving buddies’ – groups of 3. We’re going to choose group names using mathematical language words ….. the denominators? the parallelograms? the protractors? …. who knows – watch this space!

We’ve aslo spent some time getting to know our new MP3 players and the groups have already had some success editing a recording themselves using ‘Audacity’. We’re hoping to use a Thursday ICT suite slot to add some podcasts to our new math group wikispaces.

Click here to learn more about our Computer suite

Math Problem Podcast!

This week in our Problem Solving class, we worked in small groups to solve a ‘Harry Potter’ problem. It was quite a difficult problem and it really made us think! Some of us offered to take the problem home.

The problem was …

‘Harry Potter has asked his friend Hermione for a potion to turn them and their friend Ron into birds (the flying car is in for repairs, so they need to make the trip to Diagon Alley as birds).

Diagon Alley is 9 miles away and a dose of Hermione’s potion lasts 50 mins. They only have enough potion for one dose each. If they can go 24 miles an hour as birds, and they start at 4.30 p.m., can they get to Diagon Alley and back to Hogwarts again before the potion runs out at 5. 20 p.m.? If so, how much time will they be able to spend in the Alley?

Some things to think about!

• What is the question really asking (don’t be distracted by extra information!)
  • Maybe you could draw a picture to represent the places and put in what information you have.
  • You might want to re-write the problem in your own words.
  • Take it ‘one step at a time’!
  • Try making an estimate of what you think the answer might be.
  • Checkyour work as you go along
  • If you arrive at an answer, how does it compare to your estimate?

We’ve made a podcast of two different attempts to solve the problem. Kirsty, Dana and Emily (pictured above) worked as a trio, and Brenna (picture to follow!) worked with her mum. Click the link below to listen to the podcast ….. please be patient while it loads 🙂

https://p7math.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/math+problem.mp3

Fraction Frenzy!

Please feel free to leave a comment by clicking here.

Concept Mapping

We enjoy receiving comments on our posts. To leave a comment, please click here

Problem Solutions

Himalayan Expedition Problem

The Videos

Please leave comments here

Catch Up Post

Podcasting

First pupil post …. First Parent Post!!

Tessie (I’m guessing!) wrote:

Then she wrote:

Karen Harvey said…

The Calculators are the brainy ones? 🙂

The Protractors look set for action.

Learning About the Technology Bit

Off to a Flying Start!

We had a busy Math class hour today.

Math Class Experiment!

Math Problem Podcast!

The problem was …

Some things to think about!

• Take it ‘one step at a time’!
  • Checkyour work as you go along

A Problem to Solve

Primary 7v math group problem-solving challenge!!
As promised! Can you solve this problem and demonstrate to your classmates how you arrived at the answer? Remember – this is voluntary (your division homework is not :))
Cat and Mice
Five mice – Mindy, Marty, Muriel, Mabel and Mike – were nibbling the cheese on the kitchen table, but Whiskers the cat chased them back into their hole. Muriel Mouse made it back third, and Mike Mouse was fourth. Mabel Mouse was after Mike, and Marty Mouse was not second. Which mouse was first, and which one was last??