10 Reasons to play Sport – Amy (S4)

10 reasons why you should join a sports team:

• Gives you confidence.
  • Motivate you to exercise
  • Pushes you out of your comfort zone.
  • You discover skills you never knew you had.
  • Make new friends.
  • Become a great team player.
  • Improve your mental health.
  • You gain self-esteem.
  • Improves your social skills.
  • Gets you fit and healthier without noticing.

Being part of a sports team can give you a real sense of belonging and purpose. I started really getting into basketball in primary 7 when Mr MacWhirter asked me to come along to basketball training in the morning. I love being part of the school team and it has hugely helped my confidence and improved my basketball skills. We have a really great team who all work together and we have all developed so much.

Two years ago, I joined Falkirk Fury, I was super scared and nervous as it was something I had never done before. I didn’t know anyone and didn’t have as much experience as many of the other players.

I worked really hard to prove to myself and others that I should be part of the team. This was challenging but I put the work in. Training was 3 or 4 times a week with games most weekends.  I was exercising more than ever but ended up so much fitter whilst enjoying myself.

I had to push myself to have the confidence to get to know the other players.  Week by week I started to build friendships with many of the players both on court and in life.  Some of my basketball team are now among my closest friends.

I had the experience of participating in the U14 Scottish Cup, National Challenge and Monster Ball.  I couldn’t believe my coaches believed in me so much that they let me play in these so early on.  I loved every minute of these competitions and they boosted my confidence and self-esteem massively.

I would encourage anyone who is thinking about joining a new team sport to go for it as its one of the best choices I’ve made.