Vane Farm 2013

The children thoroughly enjoyed their visit to Vane Farm on Friday the 22nd of February 2013.Β  During this visit Judy and Craig (RSPB staff) gave the two classes a tour around the site.Β  During the tour the children identified different types of habitats around the site (woodland, grassland, swamp / marsh land and open water), identified nest boxes, bird watched from a hide, filled up seed & nut feeders to help small garden birds and walked to the top of a hill to enjoy looking over the full Vane Farm site.Β Β 

Judy explains about the different habitats around Vane Farm.

35 thoughts on “Vane Farm 2013”

1. Hey,Vane Farm was fabulous i had a wonderful time looking for birds and bugs and all of the different habitats.The mountain was really tiring and really soft in places but also hard under foot but i loved the view at the top.Thanks Craig and Judy for showing us around πŸ˜‰

2. Hi, I love your blog. I went last year to Vane Farm with my 5th year Biology class. I had great fun there too despite the rain! Looks like you had better weather! Keep up the good work on the blog, I look forward to future posts!

3. Hi Bakaze. The children are all very keen to learn.
    What kind of birds do you have where you live?

4. Mrs Richardson, did you not see some wonderful looking birds recently? Maybe you could describe the birds and the children could guess what the birds are from your description…? πŸ˜‰

5. It’s fantastic to see that the children are still so engaged and enjoying their learning considering the project started way back in 2010 with Mrs Bell and myself. My P4 class thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor learning experiences and it’s obvious the children are still relishing this topic now. One of my best memories was the children’s faces when we disected Beangoose poo to look at their diet! I wonder if any of my class have any other good memories they can blog? πŸ™‚

6. We loved Vane Farm, It was awesome. We both enjoyed climbing up the huge steep hill.

We hope to go back one day again

7. I got creeped out when we got told we were standing on volcaneo rock.rrrrh!:(.Ps.i am not sad just creeped out.

8. Bean geese are lovely looking birds. They fly so elegantly. The field that they land on is protected to ensure they are safe and can continue to return year after year. Slamannan is lucky to have these lovely birds to learn about.

9. Bean Geese are nice birds. The fields they land on are protected to ensure their safety and that they return year after year.

10. We have enjoyed learning more about the bean geese that land in slamannan fields each year with this homework project.

11. I recently saw a flock of 20 birds in a tree near my home in Larbert. They were smaller than a blackbird but larger than a sparrow. They were greyish with a black head. Their head had a tuft of feathers on it. Can you find out what they were?

12. christopher very much enjoyed this outing and he appears to be very interested and would love to go back for a visit

13. No Josh.
    I don’t believe the birds I saw were pigeons. The tufts on their heads were unusual.