P3b class blog October 2015

Social Studies

We have started our Local Area topic by discussing what we already know and what we would like to find out about Giffnock.

Corey would like to know how many shops there are.

Iain would like to know what the population is.

Phoebe would like to know how many houses there are.

The children enjoyed walking round the Local Area looking at the different styles of homes.  They also focused on how the land is used, recycling facilities available and public transport links. Finally they identified and discussed the route taken focusing on left and right turns.

‘I was surprised to see how much traffic went through Giffnock.’  Noah

‘I was surprised to notice how few bins there were in Giffnock.’  Chloe

HWB

Our focus at the moment is safety.  We are looking at the importance of having rules to keep us safe. We will be discussing what we do in an emergency and the people who can help us.

Expressive Arts

We are still focusing on developing tone and pattern using a range of materials. We used black pens to create a line drawing of ourselves running a mile in the playground.

I found it a bit difficult to draw myself running.’  Billy

‘I enjoyed drawing myself doing a running action.’  Izaan

ICT

During ICT we have been using BBC Dance Mat to teach us how to correctly lay our fingers onto the keyboard and type efficiently.  We have really enjoyed using this resource.  We will be moving on to Beebot to link with direction in numeracy.

RME

We have been learning about The Good Samaritan through the use of role play and a visit from the Minister. We are developing a good understanding of how to be kind to others.

‘I have enjoyed learning our song about kindness.’   Amy

I think after doing our assembly I will treat people differently in the playground and will try to be kind to everyone. ‘    Scott