January 2016 Class Blog

Social Studies

During our Financial Education topic we have been learning about money. What we use money for, how to keep money safe and what life would be like if we had no money.  The children have been discussing fundraising and researched various charities including Food4Africa and Yorkhill Children’s Charity.   After looking at familiar logos and slogans they created their own.  They designed posters which will be displayed throughout the school to promote our fundraising event ‘Bring 5, Save 5’.

“I enjoyed raising the money for the charities.  I asked people to guess the birthday of a teddy.  It was 50p a shot” Olivia.

“I enjoyed making the money boxes” Taha.

“Amy and me have been raising money by doing a bake sale” Ruby.

HWB

The children are focusing on the SHANARRI wheel. Discussing each indicator as a class and thinking about events linked to their own lives.  We remember Rights when talking about SHANARRI and are completing an individual wheel based on our own personal experiences.

“For achieving I wrote, when I learned how to ride my bike” Lucy.

“All the bits on the Shanarri wheel are different colours” Phoebe.

ICT

Watching Hectors world, a visit from PC McDowall and through discussions we have been learning how to stay safe online.

“We have not to go on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter because some stuff is not for children’s age” Izaan.

“On Google safe search you can find out about facts and charities without anything popping” Noah.

From this we have safely been using our research skills to find out about different charities.

Science

In science the class are enjoying learning about sources of energy.  We have been watching clips, asking questions, reading science books and looking at different types of objects.

“We have been learning about objects that produce heat and light” Judah.

“We have been learning about shadows” Dougal.

Art and Design

The children have been creating pictures of windy weather scenes and Scottish animals using fine black pens.  Our focus is to teach the visual element of line.

“We also drew owls using black line drawing.  I liked how it turned out” Emma

“We have been drawing Golden Eagles with our black pen and coloured them in” Rory.