Class of 2022c

—–PRIMARY 6C—-MONTHLY BLOG—- East Renfrewshire site

June 6, 2022
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

May ’22

Confirmation

This month we made our Confirmation. It was spread across three das – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Most of the P7s got confirmed and it was a great time. We attended with our families and sponsors and Canon Eddie conferred the Sacrament of Confirmation upon us.

Science Centre

At the Science centre we experienced a lot of fun things. We got to the chance to watch a 3D movie called Our Beautiful Planet, released by NASA. Everybody got to go and play in the Science Centre also – the  scientific displays were super fun.

Cricket

This term we have been developing our cricket skills. We also got to create our own skill development games. After we had learned how to play the game we had a few matches to work on our skills as a team.

Bikeability

During the past few weeks we have been doing Bikeability with Mr. Fogg. We have been learning to control and ride safely on our bikes and we are all very excited to learn to ride safely on the road.

St. Ninian’s induction

During the last couple of weeks we went to visit St. Ninian’s. We tried different subjects that we would do after the summer. People enjoyed art, science and music. We all can’t wait for High school!

April 1, 2022
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

March ’22

Falconry

This term we have been learning about falconry. We have been learning the falconer’s knot and how to use jesses. We also had a visit from Thay the kestrel. Some of us held him and walked around the class with him. We hope to see him again.

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Recently we have been learning about WW2. Since our topic is coming to an end, after learning about the Holocaust we watched Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. We really enjoyed it. The story was quite powerful and affected us. It gave us a picture of what it was like for Jews at that time.

Holocaust Talk with Mrs McIntyre-Wressnig

A pupil in our class had their mum visit us and talk about the Holocaust. She talked about how her great grandfather was in a concentration camp and she explained the difficulties he went through.

Science experiments

This month we did a few experiments. Here is what they were: a Knex experiment with a moving part, a lemon soda experiment ( we made our own juice!), the oil in water experiment (oil spills are difficult to clean up!) and the water evaporation experiment (the different stages of the water cycle). We thoroughly enjoyed taking part in them all and learned a lot!

February 22, 2022
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

World War 2 Presentations

This month we have been focusing on World War 2 presentations. We have been creating presentations on a specific leader. There are five leaders we have been focusing on: De Gaulle, Mussolini, Roosevelt, Hirohito and Churchill. All of the classmates are presenting and have been asked to provide feedback to their friends on aspects they could work or improve upon.

Outdoor Learning Adventures

Recently in outdoor learning we have doing activities to make us more adventurous and to improve our team working skills. We have learned to climb in trees, walk on a tightrope, play in a hammock, den building and learn how to make knots. Our favourite was the hammock.

Drama

This month we have been working on our drama skills. Every Friday afternoon we have been playing drama games and exploring improv. We have been playing ‘Park Bench’ – which is a game where we use improv to get your partner off the bench! You are not allowed to touch them or use props. We hope in the coming weeks we can all turn into Oscar worthy actors and actresses.

The Falconer’s knot

During this month we have learning to do the falconer’s knot so that we can learn how to train birds of prey that Mr Fogg is bringing in. We tie it so that we can stay safe and the bird can too, without the bird getting hurt. We have learning by watching videos and trying it ourselves with a piece of rope.

January 28, 2022
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

January 2022

World War II

This month we’ve been focusing on our topic of WWII. We’ve learned about the Holocaust, Anne Frank and the Rise of Hitler in Europe. The topic we found most interesting was the rise of Hitler. We have been assigned to create a PowerPoint on a specific WWII leader, including; Hirohito, Mussolini, Churchill, Degaulle and Roosevelt.

In numeracy we’ve been learning to mulitply decimal numbers by 10, 100 and 1000. We have also been learning how to multiply whole numbers by 10, 100 and 1000. The Triangles have been working on equivalent fractions and simplifying them. The Circles enjoys learning how to multiply decimals and The Squares enjoyed multiplying number and making them larger. The Triangles enjoyed seeing the changes in the fractions. We all enjoy a challenge, even if it’s our first time!

P.E.

We have been working on our basketball skills recently, including; passing, dribbling and shooting. We have also been playing a few matches against each other, easily our favourite part!

November 29, 2021
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

November 2021

Mandarin

In the past few weeks we have been taking Mandarin lessons. We have learned how to say family members, numbers and to have simple conversations. We have learned how to write Chinese characters too and we have really enjoyed learning a different language from a different continent.

Class Novel – ‘Where the River Runs Gold’ by Sita Brahmachari

We have been reading a new class novel. We have also been doing group work on it – predicting, summarising and even drawing the characters from the story. The story is set in a dystopian climate change affected future and the story follows the protagonists Shifa and her brother Themba. Together the try to escape slavery and save the world.

Christmas Pine Cones

We went to the forest to collect natural resources to create a display for our items. We got berries and leaves. Mr Fogg gave us pine cones and glitter glue and we were able to make cool patterns on our pine cones. We also had an option to add berries to them. We then attached some string so we can hang them on our Christmas trees as decorations!

Golden Time Football Tournament

We have started our own football competition! We used problem solving strategies to create fixtures of when each team was going to play each other. We have a league table with points, goals against etc and we used lollipop sticks (random) to select our teams. Each team has created a team name – like Liver Pond FC, Totten Ham and Garden Gnome FC to name a few!

October 28, 2021
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

Judo! Mate! (That’s Japanese for stop!)

We did lessons with ProJudo at Parklands. We learned some Japanese words and we played mini matches. A number of the pupils were selected as test dummies! We learned how to pin someone to the ground and worked on our agility. It was great fun competing against one another.

Letters – personal and important

In writing this month we have been writing letters. Earlier in the month we wrote letters to our buddies – we read them out to them when we visited with them. Yesterday we wrote a letter to the head of Environment in the council – we wrote asking for an explanation as to why 400 of our trees were cut down. We will select one and send it to him asking for a reply.

Researching Confirmation Saints and learning about our faith

During the past couple of weeks we have been choosing our Conformation Saints. Mr Fogg has been showing us different saints including St. Margaret, St. Vincent De Paul and St. Maximilian Kolbe. We are creating powerpoints about our saints and we will be sharing with our families soon. Once we have chosen our saint we are going to write a letter to the Bishop confirming our choice of Confirmation Saint. Those children not being confirmed have been learning and researching more about their own faith and deepening their understanding.

Outdoor Art – inspired by Andy Goldsworthy

During Outdoor Learning we have been learning to create art that has been inspired by Andy Goldsworthy. He is an artist who creates pieces with natural materials that he finds in the wild. We went into groups and created circular art using leaves ( with a focus on using different coloured leaves) and then we have a chance to talk through what we had made with our peers. Earlier in the month we  consolidated our maths work by making bar graphs in the forest too.

September 29, 2021
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

September 2021 – Things we’ve been up to.

PE

In PE we enjoyed learning more skills. Our favourite activities are javelin, rounders, long distance running, shot putt and hurdles. We enjoyed going outdoors and being more active. Together we all work harder to improve our fitness.

Jam making class

We picked 2000g grams of brambles from the forest to make jam. Then we took them back to the class to make jam. It took a while but Mr Fogg got it boiling and ready in time so we could take some home. Each of us went in groups and we weighed them to see how much we got. WE then added them all together to see what we had found. We calculated how many grams we had and this helped us to know how much sugar and pectin to put in. We finished up by writing the recipe on how to make jam.

Tree ID and bar graphs

For Outdoor Learning we went to the forest to identify different types of trees. We incorporated our maths work with OL by doing bar graphs of what we found. We counted all the trees and made a graph from natural materials of the types of trees we saw. We can now identify holly, birch, ash, hawthorn, horse chestnut, elder, oak, alder, yew, Scots pine and rowan.

Picasso Art

We enjoyed doing Picasso art, as it is different and interesting. It was difficult getting the shapes and the sizes right. We learned about the ‘blue’ period when he was depressed and the styles of single line and cubism. Picasso moved to Paris to pursue his dream of art. We used dice to select the different styles of facial features like those used by Picasso.

August 26, 2021
by Mr Fogg
0 comments

7c are back! August 2021

Here are some of our thoughts on our learning and the class since we’ve returned. It’s been nice being back together.

Maths

During Maths we enjoyed revising equivalent fractions and our times tables. We are looking forward to learning new things too.

Daily Mile

We enjoyed doing the daily mile because it improves our fitness, we get to compete with others and it makes us feel energised and calm.

Atmosphere

We find the classroom very safe and comfortable. We also enjoy doing different things in the classroom.

Artwork

We were learning to draw still life art by drawing the plants we have on our tables. It is nice to have the responsibility to look after the plants too.

Qi Gong

Qi Gong helps us to relax and have calm and positive energy. We enjoyed learning the movements together as a class. It was very relaxing.

PE

We have improved in our fitness skills and our running. We feel more energised and comfortable.

Tunisia

We really enjoyed researching and learning about Tunisia.

See you all again next month! 🙂

June 21, 2021
by Mr McLaughlin
0 comments

Last Blog of primary 6!

Well, we made it!

It’s been a difficult year for us all, but the pupils of Primary 6C have been amazing! I have enjoyed teaching them over the last eleven months. It’s been a pleasure! I wish them all well for Primary 7. Thank you for your continued support.

Mr McL

I thought I should leave the last word to the kids…

Ayra: I liked the Australia project!

Ayush: I enjoyed visiting Crawfordland.

Ubaid: I enjoyed Math, especially Long Multiplication.

Roman: I liked learning about the Victorians.

Jess: I enjoyed making Animal Shelters in Outdoor Learning.

Ryan: I enjoyed the Australia project.

Maddison: I enjoyed Wonder.

Cian : I liked enjoyed art, especially The Grinch.

Briege: I enjoyed writing, especially on Setting.

Alex: My favourite thing was Art; The Corpse Bride.

Joseph: I liked building animal habitats in Outdoor Learning.

Divena: I enjoyed choosing my own topic.

Himani: I enjoyed writing about activists (I wrote about Nelson Mandela and Martin                        Luther King)

Himanshi: I liked the posters we made on Climate Change.

Aarna: I enjoyed learning about Sustainable cities.

Francesca: I liked creating Mud Faces in Outdoor Learning.

Charlotte: I liked meeting Sonny! (Woof woof!)

Charlotte: I liked PE.

Ciaran: I liked Outdoor Learning, especially in the river.

Logan: I enjoyed building animal shelters in Outdoor Learning.

Keelan: I enjoyed drawing the Highland Coos.

Nikemi: I liked art, especially my Name Island.

Anna: I liked art, especially  McCoo Art.

Emma: I enjoyed creating Mud Faces in Outdoor Learning.

Kyra: I liked playing hide n seek in the forest.

Tarini: I enjoyed learning about Scotland.

Leo: I enjoyed meeting Sonny!

Ava: I enjoyed creating self portraits.

Ryan: I enjoyed the McCoo art.

Orlaith: I enjoyed Outdoor Learning, especially Nest Building.

Mia: I enjoyed having Mr McLaughlin and meeting Sonny!

May 24, 2021
by Mr McLaughlin
0 comments

May Blog

Well, the weather may not have been great, but we all have had a glorious month of May in Primary 6C!

We began reading our novel, Wonder, and have enjoyed getting to know the characters in the story. We have created our own precepts (mottos), designed Halloween costumes and created our own Family Solar System. (Where everything revolves around us… sound about right??)

In Maths, we have been looking at fractions, decimals, percentages, angles, 3D shapes and length.

In Language, we have continued to work on grammar rules, spelling and handwriting. We created posters, collaboratively, on our famous protesters, reminisced about the ‘Last Time’ we did something,  as well as writing a descriptive piece about an unfortunate heron!

We had great fun on Sports Day and are looking forward to the last few weeks in Primary 6.

It’s certainly been different!!!