Fractions fun!

“We have been learning about equal and not equal. Equal half are fractions” – Ava

” 2 halves are 2 bits of one whole” – Austin

“I did not make half because it wasn’t equal!” – Iona

“I was making half with a star and it was 2 equal pieces” – Archie

“The star wasn’t half because one side was smaller than the other” – Joel

“An example – if someone was in P1 and someone was in P3 and the P1 was doing the halves but they didn’t know fractions so he had to split it into 2 but he didn’t do it right because it wasn’t equal” – Lily R

We made fractions posters all about half. We folded shapes and cut them carefully. We even learned how to write half in number form. We wrote 1/2 on each piece.

Note-taking and comparing climates

I am learning to use my notes and other types of writing to help me understand information and ideas, explore problems, generate and develop ideas or create new text. LIT 1-25a

By exploring climate zones around the world, I can compare and describe how climate affects living things. SOC 1-12

We know that notes help us to understand information and remember facts. We made notes as we watched clips about cold and tropical climates.

We were able to make notes under suitable headings.

We used our notes to help us compare and contrast cold and tropical climates. Using our notes we contributed to a class Venn diagram comparing both climates.

Layers of the rainforest

“We’ve been doing some arts and crafts to show we know about the rainforest, we know the layers of the rainforest.”- Lily R

“We were doing a picture of a rainforest to see what kind of animals are there” – Jessica

“We were cutting out shapes of leaves and sticking them down on to the trees to make it look like a rain forest”- Christopher

“Monkeys live in the canopy layer and butterflies live in the emergent”- Olivia

“One is called the canopy, one is the under story and one is the forest floor” – Lily D

“The canopy is the most popular place to live, the animals like that it’s kind of sunny.” – Sydney

“Birds live in the canopy and emergent layer so predators can’t catch them down the bottom” – Archie

“We were using different shades of green to make some leaves and we had to use a sponge and then we had to leave them to dry. miss McCabe cut them out” – Iona

Climate zones and toucan art

We are sorry that we haven’t posted in a while but we have been very busy and Miss McCabe has been unwell. We should be back to weekly posts again  🙂

By exploring climate zones around the world, I can compare and describe how climate affects living things. SOC 1-12b

We have been learning about climate zones. We watched a clip and learned there are 4 main climate zones ; tropical, cold, warm and temperate.

We looked at different climates around the world.

We were able to spot Scotland on a world map and some other countries too. Miss McCabe told us about the equator, which is an imaginary line around the middle of the earth. The climate near the equator is tropical, hot and wet.

We completed a cut and stick sorting task. We were able to find the meaning of each of the new climate words. We also discussed which animals would live in different climates.

We looked at the different climates around the world and recorded these on our very own map. We used a key so we would know what each of the colours meant.

TOUCAN ART

I can create a range of visual information through observing and recording from my experiences across the curriculum. EXA 1-0a

I can respond to the work of artists and designers by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work.EXA 1-07a

A toucan is a bird which lives in hot and wet climate. We studied a picture of a toucan then used oil pastels to create our own toucan. We then made a collage background with green tissue papers to make it look like leaves.

We presented our work to the class and gave feedback to each other.

^I like the blue bit on the eye cause it’s a nice colour – by Ivy

^ I like the line on the beak because he tried his best and I just think it’s really neat – by Jessica

^Lily D’s beak is nice because it looks like areal beak – by Olivia

^Lily R – I like her beak because it’s nice and pointy like Miss Mccabe’s – by Ryan

^Christopher – I like all the orange and the blue. The beak is good.

^Tony – I like the green and the eye because there’s not much blue and I like it – by Ivy

^Jessica – I like hers because it is good. I like the colours – by Lyle

^Sydney – she was neat and I like the green bit because it stands out – by Christopher

Ivy’s looks like a real one is staring at me. The beak looks realistic – byAustin

^Olivia – I like it because it’s really good and I like the beak because it’s got lots of details on it – by Sydney

Next steps

We are going to be learning about the rainforest. In Social Studies we are going to locate where rainforests are on a world map and we will learn about the different layers of the rainforest.