P5b’s outdoor action-packed week (w/c 7th September)

Nessie Hunters!

As part of our topic of Myths and legends topic, we were exploring the Scottish myth of the Loch Ness Monster. We acted out different hoaxes of photographs of Nessie. Despite the hoaxes, sonar has shown that there might be something in the water, but it’s too murky to be photographed. ..We improvised different versions of the story or created our own hoax and then performed them in the courtyard for each other.

Smashing Shape work

In Maths we have been exploring 3D shapes.  We were making 3D shapes out of matchsticks and blutak. We made cubes, triangular prisms and challenged ourselves to make other shapes too . We revised the properties of 3D shapes, looking at edges, vertices and faces.  We have also focussed on multiplication this week, with a choice of activities to challenge and extend our learning.

We also linked Maths and Expressive Arts. On Thursday we made a 2d circle into a sphere and we used toning and shading and different types of pencils to make the circle look 3D. It was quite tricky getting the shading in the correct place.

Wonderful Woodland

We braved the elements on Friday to visit the woodland. As you can see from these fabulous photographs we showed creativity, bravery, teamwork, resilience, problem solving and perseverance!

“It was hard… we had to do a lot of team work. We used logs and tyres as seats. I’m holding the torch for the fire.” (H.F)

“We needed lots of wind to keep it up.” (R.J)

“I was the security guard while we were working on it” (D.C)

“We had to break some sticks to hook the tarpaulin onto” (B.H)

“I did my den by myself. I found a tyre lying next to the tree and I used that for the base of my den. I also used sticks for the roof and decorated it with leaves, weeds, grass and apples. I also used a muddy brick for the door and I used a big log for the chimney of the house.” (R.G)

“The idea started off as a raft, but then people were using it as a bridge so it turned into a bridge” (R. H).  “We used lots of logs to make a bridge” (I.G)

“We also had to get thick logs and skinny ones” (E.G)

“It needed a lot of team work and negotiation to tell everyone where to put the logs” (D.S)

“We all worked together to bring the logs” (Z.A)

“The logs were very slippy and I almost ended up in the mud! (C.B)

“It was great fun to walk on the bridge” (K.W)

“The mud was VERY slippy.” (H. S-A).

“Even Mrs Allan helped” (I.G)

“I got a nettle sting, but we put a dock leaf on it” (A.H)

“Eventually the bridge went around to the tree.” (R.L)

Chalk Obstacles

We used chalk to make obstacle courses in the playground for PE.  It was a lot of fun. Some groups found it easy to combine their ideas, but some groups had to work on their negotiation skills.