Our last 2 weeks in photos! WB: 14/09/20 and 21/09/20

Primary 2b have worked incredibly hard so far this year. The class have settled in very well and are particularly enthusiastic about our Under the Sea topic! After such a busy first 7 weeks, I hope you have a lovely, restful long weekend. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Please remember to leave a wee comment on the blog if you get a chance- I will share all of these with the children!

We hope you enjoy seeing what we have been up to these last 2 weeks.

We have been learning about 2D shapes and 3D objects.

We created our own 2D shape pictures using sticks in the woodland.

‘Me and Rayna were building a square with sticks.”- Sofia

‘We used triangles and squares to build a house.’- Magnus

‘We madeĀ  a house. We used sticks and stones. It was from triangles and squares and rectangles.’- Kayla and Amelia

We went out to the playground and woodland to search for 3D objects! We recorded our findings on a sheet with a partner.

‘ I found a ball- it was a sphere.’ – Archie

‘ I found a big log it was a cylinder.’ – Mia

‘I found a tree, it was a cylinder too.’ – Cameron

We have also been working on addition strategies. We have learned some ways to add 10!

’10 + 0= 10′ – Ethan

‘ 10 + 1= 11′ – Charlie

We played a game together to help us add 10. We know that the second digit does not change.

’36 + 10= 46.’ – Harry

‘I was playing the train game and you had to add it up and press the answer.’ – Alexander

The children have been working so hard to practise writing stories and sentences. They have been choosing to write lots of their own stories at our writing table- I am sure they will all make excellent authors one day!

‘ I wrote about the bin being full.’ – Oliver

Some of us read our fabulous sentences out to our friends.

‘ I wrote about going to Home Bargains!’ – Rory

‘ I wrote: I went in the car and we were stuck in traffic.’ – Zack

‘I made a book about fish and it was a fact book. I have written 3 pages of it.’ – Cameron

‘I made a book about mermaids. I was diving and I didn’t see anyone. I went so deep that I found a mermaid.’- – Willow

We have been revising lots of diagraph sounds. The boys and girls are brilliant at creating their own words during active spelling time!

IDL

Last week, Cameron was the Tiny teacher, sharing his knowledge and love for sea turtles!

We learned a bit about what turtles eat, how big they are, and where they live!

‘Turtles can eat jellyfish without getting stung.’- Myles

We have been learning all about food chains. We know that: ‘ The sun gives the plants energy.’ – Eva We started off by sorting animals by what they eat! the boys and girls favourite were the om nom omnivore- they eat everything!

‘Humans are at the top of the food chain.’ – Magnus

‘I made my own food chain. The sun gives the grass energy. The worm eats the grass and the bird eats the worm.’ – Ibrahim

We made our own beautiful under the sea pictures.

We painted the background and used white crayons to make waves. Then we stuck ourselves on to look like divers! We added our favourite sea creatures.

‘I added a seahorse because I like them.’ – Ashley

‘I added a megladon because they were the biggest creatures to ever live.’ – Ben

‘ I was very good at cutting my creatures out.’ – Matthew

Thank you again to the adults and pupils who have sent in photos via google classroom or brought in lovely sea themed crafts, pictures and stories! Pupils have enjoyed sharing them with their friends and they provide an invaluable link to personal experiences to help us understand even more about Under the Sea!

Outdoor Learning

Our recent outdoor exploring has been very imaginative and exciting!

We had a worm hospital, tyre races, den building, climbing and swinging too! It was fabulous to see the children assessing their own risks and using the materials to create their own games.

PE

We have been very lucky to have Tony from Active Schools has been delivering a block on ball skills and passing with us onĀ  a Tuesday in the MUGA.

‘ We have been playing hoop ball and basketball.’ Josh

‘ We were dribbling the ball you have to bounce it.’ Archie