WB: 16/11/20 Brilliant Books, Super Sequencing and the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party!

For our Literacy speedy skills this week we have been revising all of our words with diagraph sounds! We found them in books, wrote them, made them and played games with them!

Some boys and girls even independently found rhyming words in books! They enjoyed writing them on the tables with our special pens.

We are still focusing on sequencing as our reading skill this week.
We have sequenced pictures, sentences, events from a video clip and even acted out a sequence!

As part of book week Scotland we have read lots of stories this week!

We enjoyed reading Charlie and Myles’ dinosaur stories.

Everyone had a great time on Friday wearing their exciting hats for the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party! Everyone looked amazing!

We have continued to think about capacity with Miss Geddes this week. It has been very active! The children were making estimates and measuring with household items.

We then used our knowledge of capacity to measure liquids and make icing sugar! Everyone was very excited about making empire biscuits. We had some great discussions about measuring accurately and where we would need to use this in real life.

We have continued to learn strategies to answer missing number calculations and have moved on to think about linking addition and subtraction facts!

IDL- Dinosaurs

This week we have been archaeologists in the woodlands! Everyone used tools to carefully dig up and categorise dinosaur bones, eggs and fossils!

We have been reading a novel called The Dinosaur’s Diary! Miller drew some excellent pictures from the book.

Kayla made her own version of the dinosaur from blocks!

Charlie made a dinosaur from gems too!

We then used our knowledge of food chains and what animals eat from our Under the Sea topic to sort dinosaurs into carnivores, herbivores and omnivores!

Everyone got a chance to measure their foot against a scale stegosaurus footprint. We watched a news clip about these being found on the Isle of Skye!

Road Safety

For Road Safety week, we watched a video about crossing the road safely and went to the cycle track to practise this! After this, everyone enjoyed playing Road Safety snakes and  ladders!

Play

There have been some very complex buildings and race tracks built this week!

WB: 09.11.20 Dangerous Dinosaurs and Cool Capacity!

Here are lots of photos from another wonderful week in P2b!

Thanks again for giving your time for our parents night appointments this week. It was a pleasure to speak to you all and share your children’s progress and learning experiences. The boys and girls were very excited to come in and tell me how well they are doing!

As it has been such a busy week, we have not managed any quotes for our photos, but I am sure your child will be happy to tell you all about what we have been up to!

Our sounds this week were ‘ou’ and ‘ue.’ We have finished revising our diagraphs and will be moving on to tricky alternate diagraph sounds next week!

We have been adding in WOW words to our writing and extending our sentences with ‘and’ and ‘because.’

Miss Geddes has been helping everyone to sequence the main events in stories this week. We did this with a big book called The Big Snowball then tried it with our own reading books!

Miss Geddes has been helping us to learn about capacity this week!

We have explored containers and their capacity outside. The children worked well in pairs to match the language of capacity and colour in containers.

HWB/PE

In HWB we have continued to learn about Friendships. This week Miss Geddes gave everyone scenario cards. The children acted these out in groups and decided if the scenarios showed people being friendship builders or friendship blockers!

We are now finished our block of ball skills. Everyone really enjoyed passing, dribbling and shooting in Basketball this week!

Outdoor learning

This week we have spent lots of time in our P2 garden.

We have been making dens, problem solving when playing ‘the floor is lava,’ and even having exciting chats about floating and sinking with dinosaurs in a very muddy puddle!

IDL
We have started exploring our new Dinosaurs topic in P2b this week!

On Wednesday afternoon we explored lots of exciting play provocations and started our new class novel – The Dinosaur’s Diary!

Thank you to everyone who has brought in exciting dinosaur pictures, books and toys to share with the class. We have really enjoyed hearing about everyone’s knowledge and experiences.

Play

Fabulous Fireworks Writing and a very muddy Mini Mudder! WB: 02.11.20

As usual, we have had a very busy and interesting week in P2b.

We are very lucky to have Miss Geddes in with us for 6 weeks until the 2nd of December, she has really enjoyed getting to know the children and teaching them all about friendships!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for supporting their children to complete homework. I have been really impressed with the effort and standard and the regular practise of Sumdog and Storyworld Common words is making a huge difference to pupils recall and accuracy across Literacy and Numeracy.

I am really looking forward to speaking to you all next week- we hope you enjoy this week’s blog!

This week we have focused on the diagraph sounds ‘ow’ and ‘oi.’

‘I made a sentence about a rocket.’-Kayla

‘Oil has oi.’-Amelia

‘Ow’-Harley

We peer assessed each other’s writing from last week.

Archie had good finger spaces.-Myles

‘I thought Alexander’s work was good because he didn’t really do anything wrong.’-Zack

We have been thinking about how to extend our sentence and add in interesting words to create exciting Firework poems!

‘I liked my firework writing because it was beautiful.’- Matthew

‘I had lots of good stuff because I said the bonfire was shaped like a triangle. I was a star writer.’ Oliver

This week in Numeracy we have been working on missing number calculations. We used a number line to count on and split numbers into part, part, whole. The boys and girls were excellent at writing their calculations neatly in their jotters!

‘You used your jotters and you write the calculation and then you leave a wee box. You figure out the missing number.’-Willow

‘You can use your head or a whiteboard or a number line or hundred square.’-Harry

HWB

Miss Geddes has been helping us to learn more about Friendships and what makes a kind friend. This week she read the story of Maisie Me.

The boys and girls then made an example of a ‘kind friend’ and wrote what they would do on a life size cut out. (Thank you Josh!)

‘Being kind to other people is a friendship builder.’-Ibrahim

‘A friendship blocker is if you are mean to someone.’-Eva

IDL Dinosaurs

This week pupils voted on a new IDL topic and have chosen Dinosaurs! We thought about what we already know, and what we would like to learn over the course of our topic. Everyone enjoyed sharing their existing knowledge and reading our new Dinosaur books.

‘I was drawing a dinosaur it had feathery arms.’-Miller

‘I am over the moon because dinosaur are so fun and there are so many facts about them. Some of them are nice and some of them are not nice.’-Sofia

‘I like dinosaurs because they are cool.’-Ethan

Outdoor Learning/ Mini Mudder

‘We were making a den for hiding in,’-Archie

‘Sofia got stuck!’-Rayna

‘I was climbing the tree. I could see people running past me.’-Myles

‘We were making a cross over the mud to make it to a tree and you walked on tyres and sticks.’-Josh

Mini Mudder

Mini mudder was a huge hit today with lots of mud, sliding, laughs and fun!

‘Mini mudder was good, I liked the course. The web part was my favourite.’-Aaron

‘The tyres were really easy to get through.’-Rayna

‘It was really good because we had a mud bath.’-Harley

‘I was on the grass and I am screaming.’-Alexander