Woodland Cafes, exploring 3D objects and a pizza party! WB: 05.10.20

Welcome to our latest blog!

We have had another fantastic, busy week in Primary 2b- I am sure the boys and girls are ready for a well deserved holiday and a rest now!

Speedy Skills

We have had lots of new morning activities to try this week. Noughts and Crosses was a big hit, with pupils having to read their common words before they could choose a space!

‘I was making maths questions and they were a wee bit tricky but I could do them!’- Alexander

IDL- Under the Sea

‘I drew lots of kind of sharks and I was making a poster with information about them.’ -Kayla

We also made an Under the Sea food pyramid!

‘An octopus is a secondary consumer. It eats fish.’- Matthew
‘A crab is a primary consumer. It is an omnivore.’- Aaron

This week everyone received their first reading book of Primary 2! It has been a joy to see everyone’s passion for reading. The children have been working to develop their independence by following a task board and managing their own time when completing follow up jobs.

‘Me and Myles were reading our book. I liked when the mouse ate the cheese.’- Aaron

Our sounds this week have been ‘wh’ and ‘th.’

In writing, we started using our jotters! The boys and girls were challenged to write sentences with; capital letters, full stops, finger spaces and to extend their sentences using ‘and.’

‘I was writing. I had capital letters, finger spaces and full stops.’ – Archie

We have also tried using our new handwriting jotters to practise neat formation!

We have had a big focus on naming, identifying and describing 3D objects this week.

The children sorted 2D shapes and 3D objects and labelled them.

‘I was sorting the shapes and  helping  Kayla to write the names of the shapes. My favourite shape is a sphere because it’s round like  circle.’ -Eva

We played a game of ‘guess the shape’ pass the parcel!

‘When the music stopped you got to feel in the bag. There were shapes inside and you had to feel them and tell everyone what they felt like and how many sides. Then had to guess what shape it was.’ -Willow

We experimented with shapes to see if they rolled, then sorted them into categories.

‘We were looking to see what things roll and what didn’t roll. Then we put it in the hoops.’ -Rory

We explored the properties of 3D objects and worked in teams to make informative posters!

‘I was putting numbers in the table about the cube. It has 6 faces, 12 edges and 8 vertices.’ – Ethan

Woodland

This week at woodland lots of people were creating their own cafes and menus!

‘I was making an ice cream list. It had chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. You could get donuts too.’- Oliver

‘I found a foot shaped log. I think it was from a giant.’- Mia

We had some very brave tree climbers!

‘I put mud on my face because I was being an army man!’- Harry

PE

We have continued to practise our three types of pass this week; bounce, chest and javelin!

Reward Afternoon (Pizza Party!)

I am very proud of the hard work and effort everyone has put in these first few weeks, which has resulted in another reward afternoon!

The boys and girls helped to count all of the house tokens in the full jar- there were over 300! That meant that there had been outstanding behaviour, kindness and effort shown over 300 times in the last few weeks- WOW!

‘I was making stacks of ten with the house tokens. We were seeing which group had the most.’ -Amelia

This time the children voted to have a ‘pizza party,’ and watched a sea themed movie- Finding Dory!  We made sure we were using equipment safely like graters and knives and worked hard to keep our work station and utensils clean and hygienic.

‘I was eating my pizza. I liked the baby peppers.’- Theo

‘ We were making pizzas because we were having a reward for getting the jar full. It was great, we had some orange juice and blackcurrant.’- Zack

Have a brilliant October break and I will see you all on Tuesday 20th October!