Our last 2 weeks in photos! WB: 14/09/20 and 21/09/20

Primary 2b have worked incredibly hard so far this year. The class have settled in very well and are particularly enthusiastic about our Under the Sea topic! After such a busy first 7 weeks, I hope you have a lovely, restful long weekend. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Please remember to leave a wee comment on the blog if you get a chance- I will share all of these with the children!

We hope you enjoy seeing what we have been up to these last 2 weeks.

We have been learning about 2D shapes and 3D objects.

We created our own 2D shape pictures using sticks in the woodland.

‘Me and Rayna were building a square with sticks.”- Sofia

‘We used triangles and squares to build a house.’- Magnus

‘We made  a house. We used sticks and stones. It was from triangles and squares and rectangles.’- Kayla and Amelia

We went out to the playground and woodland to search for 3D objects! We recorded our findings on a sheet with a partner.

‘ I found a ball- it was a sphere.’ – Archie

‘ I found a big log it was a cylinder.’ – Mia

‘I found a tree, it was a cylinder too.’ – Cameron

We have also been working on addition strategies. We have learned some ways to add 10!

’10 + 0= 10′ – Ethan

‘ 10 + 1= 11′ – Charlie

We played a game together to help us add 10. We know that the second digit does not change.

’36 + 10= 46.’ – Harry

‘I was playing the train game and you had to add it up and press the answer.’ – Alexander

The children have been working so hard to practise writing stories and sentences. They have been choosing to write lots of their own stories at our writing table- I am sure they will all make excellent authors one day!

‘ I wrote about the bin being full.’ – Oliver

Some of us read our fabulous sentences out to our friends.

‘ I wrote about going to Home Bargains!’ – Rory

‘ I wrote: I went in the car and we were stuck in traffic.’ – Zack

‘I made a book about fish and it was a fact book. I have written 3 pages of it.’ – Cameron

‘I made a book about mermaids. I was diving and I didn’t see anyone. I went so deep that I found a mermaid.’- – Willow

We have been revising lots of diagraph sounds. The boys and girls are brilliant at creating their own words during active spelling time!

IDL

Last week, Cameron was the Tiny teacher, sharing his knowledge and love for sea turtles!

We learned a bit about what turtles eat, how big they are, and where they live!

‘Turtles can eat jellyfish without getting stung.’- Myles

We have been learning all about food chains. We know that: ‘ The sun gives the plants energy.’ – Eva We started off by sorting animals by what they eat! the boys and girls favourite were the om nom omnivore- they eat everything!

‘Humans are at the top of the food chain.’ – Magnus

‘I made my own food chain. The sun gives the grass energy. The worm eats the grass and the bird eats the worm.’ – Ibrahim

We made our own beautiful under the sea pictures.

We painted the background and used white crayons to make waves. Then we stuck ourselves on to look like divers! We added our favourite sea creatures.

‘I added a seahorse because I like them.’ – Ashley

‘I added a megladon because they were the biggest creatures to ever live.’ – Ben

‘ I was very good at cutting my creatures out.’ – Matthew

Thank you again to the adults and pupils who have sent in photos via google classroom or brought in lovely sea themed crafts, pictures and stories! Pupils have enjoyed sharing them with their friends and they provide an invaluable link to personal experiences to help us understand even more about Under the Sea!

Outdoor Learning

Our recent outdoor exploring has been very imaginative and exciting!

We had a worm hospital, tyre races, den building, climbing and swinging too! It was fabulous to see the children assessing their own risks and using the materials to create their own games.

PE

We have been very lucky to have Tony from Active Schools has been delivering a block on ball skills and passing with us on  a Tuesday in the MUGA.

‘ We have been playing hoop ball and basketball.’ Josh

‘ We were dribbling the ball you have to bounce it.’ Archie

P2b Clever clogs blog! Week Beginning 07/09/20

We have been learning some new diagraph sounds. This week we focused on ‘ai’ and ‘oa.’‘I was spelling ‘goat.’- Mia

‘Toast has oa too.’ -Harley

‘Train is an ai word.’ – Rayna

We read Chicken Licken and were thinking about rhyming words.

‘Chicken and Licken rhyme with picken.’ -Magnus

We have been revising 2D shapes.

‘I was matching the triangles.’ Ethan

‘A hexagon has 6 corners and 6 sides.’- Josh

Then we went outside to look for 2D shapes. We worked in pairs and drew pictures of what we found. Then we shared them with our friends.

‘We found a P1 sign that was a square.’ Charlie and Ben

‘The MUGA gate was a rectangle.’ Matthew

Outdoor Learning

We have spent lots of time outside this week. We took part in some imaginative play out in our P2 garden.

‘I was playing the floor is lava. I used tyres and benches and I couldn’t touch the floor.’- Caleb

‘I was making a blackcurrant ice cream. It cost £5000!’ Theo

‘I was watching Rayna pour the mud cake.’- Amelia
‘We made a cafe and Ethan was the customer. He wanted to eat the chocolate cake and drink coffee’- Eva

In the MUGA we played lots of Under the Sea themed games.

‘We were playing submarine tig. If you get caught you have to put your arm in the air.’ Zach

‘It is called a periscope.’ -Miller

Under the Sea IDL topic

We have been very busy this week! The boys and girls chose to learn about sharks!

‘Sharks eat fish.’ -Oliver

Willow and Magnus brought in some bones from the beach in Millport to show everyone! They got to be the tiny teachers and share their knowledge with the class.

‘There were bird bones. They were very good.’ Myles

‘They felt a bit like glass or a shell.’- Mia

Theo was sharing his knowledge about sharks and Krakens!

‘A Kraken could make scars on the megladon with the suction cups.’- Aaron

We made under the sea puppets of all the creatures we have learned about. The boys and girls then created a puppet show in our under the sea den.

‘Me and Aaron were using the puppets to do the puppet show.’- Ibrahim

‘It was really funny.’-Kayla

The children chose to put some sea and water themed material round our den! We then added books about sea creatures and pirates.

We had an arts and crafts afternoon where the children chose to make fish, sharks, crabs and even scary jellyfish! We then hung them inside the den with a beautiful painted sea background.

‘This is a Portuguese Man O’War jellyfish. They are the biggest jellyfish.’ – Ben

‘I made a fish mask. I cut it out.’ Ashley

We had lots of fun playing with our sea creatures in the sparkly water!

Our Exciting Week! 30/08/20

This week in P2b we have spent lots of time outside and solving problems through building challenges!

Outside, pupils used pipes, water and containers to create a water slide.

‘ I was putting the boat in the bucket to slide it down.’ Ibrahim

‘It was like a water slide through the tunnel.’ Harry and Magnus

Sofia found a worm and was brave enough to pick it up!

‘I found a worm in the mud- it felt weird. I liked the long one better.’

‘I found a caterpillar, mostly it tickled.’ -Mia

The pupils chose to create a reading den/stage with some cardboard tubes. They all worked together to strengthen the tubes, choose materials and find solutions when it kept falling down!

‘ We used cable ties, cardboard tubes, cellotape, material and string.’ Charlie and Rory

They managed to finish it on Wednesday and attached it to our role play area. We are very pleased with the finished product!

‘It’s awesome because I can pretend it is a fort.’ -Matthew

‘I was under the den reading Monkey Puzzle. I was happy because the leaf made the den green.’ Charlie

In Numeracy, we have been using lots of concrete materials to solve and create our own addition problems.

We have learned to put the big number first and count on using a number line.

‘I was colouring in a butterfly. I added both numbers together to find the colour.’ Caleb

‘We matched the calculations to the numbers on the robots. There was a number line at the bottom.’ Rory

In Literacy we were checking our sentences for capital letters, full stops and finger spaces. We used picture prompts to write sentences then challenged ourselves to draw our own pictures on the back and write a sentence about them!

Pupils voted at the end of last week for a new IDL topic and have chosen Under the Sea! Some pupils helped to create a beautiful sea front cover for our big book.

Here is all the exciting information the pupils knew about Under the Sea already.

We then thought about what we would like to find out and are using this to plan our learning together. We will start on Monday by learning about some exciting sea creatures!