Snow Detectives!

It was lovely to wake up this morning to a beautiful snowy day. The sky was blue and the ground was covered in white snow sparkling in the sun.

Fun facts about snow!

Have you noticed that its very quiet when it snows? This is because when the snow covers the ground it sucks in all of the noise around it which makes it really quiet!

Did you know that snow isn’t really white? It actually has no colour. It looks like it’s white from reflections from the sun which can make it look really bright and sparkly. Snow is made way up high in the clouds where it is really cold. Water turns into ice because it is so cold and it falls as snow. Snow flakes are made up of tiny little crystals that form in the air and all join together. Each snow flake can have around 200 crystals in it and each one is different. How cool is that!

I decided to go out for a walk and investigate snow a bit more. Even though the sun was shining it was very cold so I put on my coat, gloves, hat and my cozy socks and snowboots! I was ready to be a snow detective!

Snow had fallen on lots of the bushes and trees on my walk, don’t they look beautiful! I could hear lots of birds in the trees and the snow crunched when I walked, my feet made a funny squeaking noise too!

I spotted lots of different footprints on the ground and decided to measure my foot against one. Do you like my stripey socks, they kept my feet nice and cozy! Which one do you think is bigger?

Can you see all the different patterns on the footprints? Which one do you think are longer or shorter?

I also saw some other footprints and tracks in the snow, can you guess what might have made them?

I decided to have some fun in my garden. I wrote my name in the snow, my fingers were so cold!

I decided to ask my family to make a footprint in the snow. Which one do you think is mine? I’ll give you a clue, I’m the shortest in my house and I have the smallest feet!

Finally I decided to make some snowballs and throw them against wall to see what patterns they made. The bigger the snowball, the bigger the pattern I made!

Now it was time for me to go inside, I think I might need some hot chocolate to warm me up! Thanks for beings such amazing snow detectives with me!

Hope you have lots of fun in the snow and please share some of your photos with us. Take care boys and girls.