Numbers are everywhere! Exploring length

The children have been interested in the bugs they’ve been finding in the garden recently.

Look a wiggly worm

To extend their learning, last week we brought a mini beast hunt indoors using autumn leaves collected by some children on a local walk. They enjoyed learning the names of the different bugs, exploring textures and role playing with them. This week we’ve added some calipers to allow the children to explore the concept of measuring and length.

It’s 7
It’s up to here

In the early years when maths is explored during play it becomes more powerful, allowing children to apply their growing knowledge and build lifelong understanding.

It’s 11, it’s bigger

I saw a spider

The addition of callipers allowed the children to explore their mathematical potential freely; using the language of length and size, comparing lengths, identifying  and writing numbers.

I’m going to try the bee
Is it longer?

The children also recorded their findings using their own mathematical graphics on a simple table.

It’s 10 again
Exploring writing numbers

I wonder what the children will measure next?

Please share any pictures of your children using these skills at home so we can print them off and share with their friends 😊