Science fun!

Hi everyone! Sarah-Jane here.. I hope you are all well and keeping safe.
As we have been grateful to have such nice weather over the weekend, I decided to get my lay z spa set up.
However, the setting up is the difficult part and it actually ended up turning into a bit of a science experiment, (this is a really useful tip if you have one of these at home!)

As you all know, most swimming pools have a chemical called chlorine in it to clean the water of any bacteria and germs. However, in order to be able to use the water in the spa, we had to test to see if it was safe. This is called testing the PH of the water.

I had to improvise as I didn’t have any PH paper to test my water, so I used to magic of google to find an alternative and this is what it gave me…

First, you cut up or grate your red cabbage and place it into a clear glass bowl. Then boil about 2 cups of distilled water in a separate pot and pour the boiled water over the cabbage(adult). Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon and leave the cabbage in the water for around half an hour..

A chemical reaction will then happen causing the cabbage to turn the water to a purplish red colour. Then you strain the liquid. This will be used as what you call a “pH indicator solution”

Pour a small amount of the water you are testing into a separate clear plastic or glass container, put a few drops of your purplish solution into the water you are testing.

The water colour will change and either give you an acidic, a neutral or a basic alkaline measurement. Our water stayed purple, meaning it was alkali so was not safe to use in our lay z spa.

To ensure that our experiment wasn’t affected by anything, we added vinegar to our purple solution which changed to pink/red, meaning it was acidic. This confirmed that our experiment worked! Yay!

This is a really fun experiment to do and can be done to test any type of water or liquid such as vinegar, fizzy juice, soapy water and milk, not just if you have a hot tub in your garden! The children will enjoy watching the colours changing and being able to match it on the pH colour chart.

There are some more experiments that can be done using the red cabbage indicator..

www.sciencekiddo.com

www.littlebinsforlittlehands.com

www.homeschoolden.com

Have fun everyone and be sure to share your discoveries with us on our Cart Mill twitter!

Miss you all and hope to see you real soon, Stay safe!! xx