Baking at home with Carly

Hi Everyone Carly here, I hope you are all safe and well. I am missing all your wee faces.

During lockdown I have been trying to improve my baking skills as my area in nursery is the malleable/baking table, the children might know this better as the ‘play dough table’.

I have been using a website called ‘Supercook’ to search for simple recipes. Here you can select the ingredients you already have at home and it will search for recipes to suit the ingredients you selected.

I decided to make a blueberry loaf instead of muffins because I didn’t have a muffin tin. Here is the recipe below;

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
2 Eggs
3 table spoons of butter
1 cup of milk
1 1/2 cup of blueberries

Method:
Preheat oven to 190° or gas mark 5 and grease muffin tins very well
Sift dry ingredients together.
Mix the blueberries with a fourth of this mixture.
Beat eggs; add melted butter and milk in a separate bowl
Pour into dry ingredients and stir until there are no large lumps
Fold blueberries in lightly.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the muffins.

Children learn through play and can gain many skills that benefit them by baking:

Social-Emotional Development: Hands on cooking activities help children develop confidence and skill. Following recipes encourages children to be self directed and independent, it also teaches them to follow directions and develop problem-solving skills.

Physical Development: Fine motor and eye-hand coordination skills are developing by chopping, mixing, squeezing, and spreading.

Cognitive Development: Cooking encourages children’s thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. It also allows children the opportunity to use the knowledge they have and apply it by counting, measuring, following a sequence, following directions, and cause and effect.

Language Development: Cooking offers the opportunity to develop language development by linking it to all other areas, including Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Arts, and Literacy. This is done by encouraging children to talk about what they are doing, counting, and watching materials change colour, texture, and medium.

I have had lots of fun baking and learning new recipes that we can add to our recipe book when all of this is over and we get back to normality. I would love to hear how you are all getting on, keep in contact with us through our twitter.

Take care everyone and stay safe !

https://www.supercook.com/#/recipes