Dams to Darnley Sponsored Cycle Friday 2nd June

Dams to Darnley Bike ride  

On Friday 2 nd  of June p5, 6 and 7 took part in the  Dams to Darnley bike ride.  First we went down to the P.E hall and sat in our groups. Then we got a bag, a water bottle and a biscuit  for the journey. We were told who our group leaders were. Then we went outside and got our helmets and bikes. We completed a bike check and then walked in our groups down the tram lines in the playground. We walked to  the Jerry Park and then rode our bikes from there. It was a beautiful day for a cycle . We saw lots of walkers with their dogs and had to cycle safely past them.

Olivia – it was good exercise and was lots of fun.

Lily – I really enjoyed the cycle, the views were beautiful.

Kirstie – It was a really lovely day and everyone enjoyed it.

We finally got to the dams and we started to ride our bikes. We stopped at a grassy area and had our snack halfway round.  We all loved it and would like to do it again.

We had lots of helpers, Miss Watt , Craig and other helpers from Bikeability. The campus cop came to help and took us safely across the roads. A big thank you to the Fundraising  group led by Mrs Murdoch and Mrs Kaur who spent lots of time arranging this. We got sponsored for the cycle and money went towards the Solar Dome and Mindfulness garden.    

Science – IDL – Food Chains

For part of our science topic we made two posters. This linked with our literacy work and also our expressive arts work.

One was a food chain process . We researched information using the internet and made notes about the animals in our food chain. We used scientific vocabulary to create a food chain process.

We also used our design skills to create a food chain collage using a range of media.It was a really interesting topic  and we learned a lot about animals and their habitats.  It was really fun and they turned out amazing and everyone had fun.

Lewis – I liked the art part and I really enjoyed it.

Adrian – I liked the art when I made my Jungle food chain.

Connor-I liked the art food chain because it makes it look 3D and it was cool.

Garden Party 2nd June

Garden party

The fundraising group organised a Garden Party in Springhill and Auchenback primary school playground to raise funds to buy a Solar Dome and set up a Mindfulness Garden . It was on Friday 2nd June 2017 at 2:30- 4:30pm.

First the fundraising group was helping set up the stalls. Once the garden party had started all the people helping went to their stalls. After everyone went to their stalls the parents came to pick the children up.

There were lots of stalls here:-  coconut shy, archery, crazy golf, African stall, flower stall, raffle, face paints, wheel of fortune, bake sale, candy floss, bouncy castle, fire engine, drinks maker, bouncy slide, duck derby, hook a duck, chocolate tombola, beat the goalie, tin o' beans  and a tea room. Our class was in charge of the bouncy slides . We made posters in ICT to advertise our stall.

Emily  – It was fun to help set up and go round all the stalls.

Mia – the stalls were really good and we had lots of fun.

Connor – I enjoyed helping and going round all the stalls . I especially liked the bouncy slide.

Lewis – I enjoyed the bouncy slide and Miss Graeme’s brownies.

It was a great day the sun was out and we had lots of fun and hopefully raised lots of money. Thanks to everyone who helped us organise the Garden Party.

In literacy we wrote an invitation to the Garden Party.

Bikeability2 training March to June

Bikeability 2 

We have been doing Bikeability since March with P6b.

The Barrhead Cycle centre checked out all our bikes.

First we did some sessions in the playground where we learned how to perform an M check – to make sure our bikes were roadworthy.

We learned how to carry out a safe start plus the safe stop. Then we did the fast race and the slow race to improve control also we did an emergency stop.

After that we learned how to do left turn, right turn and a U-turn and we did overtaking a parked car. (We used cones as a car.)

Next we went out on the road for a few weeks using Tinto Drive and Pentland road. We practised other manoeuvres:- passing a side road, left turns, safe stop etc.

We had Craig helping from Bikeability Scotland and Mrs Burns and Mr Ogilvie helped during on road training. A big thanks to them.

We also learned about road safety, road signs and the highway code and sat a theory test. Our final assessment was on the 8th June – we hope we did well.

Ross – Bikeability is fun and gets us outside in the fresh air.

Kenzie – I have enjoyed Bikeability, I have improved my cycling skills.

Jamie – It is interesting to learn the correct signals.