Information for Parents of New S1 Pupils

Dear Parent/Guardian

As your child enters their last few days at primary, it is with great pleasure that I write to you in preparation for their arrival in Saint Ninian’s in August. So much has been done to ensure that your child has a smooth transition to secondary school. Both myself and a number of teaching staff, both Pastoral and Learning Support, have visited and contacted a number of schools gaining a full background of each individual pupil and ensuring that each child’s needs are met. All pupils have come together for a highly successful induction day where they have had the opportunity to meet with pupils from other schools and have begun to form friendships which will hopefully be lifelong. In preparation for their arrival, I would like to take this opportunity to remind you of some key information.

Uniform  

We believe that high expectations will lead to high standards and we will continually demand that pupils give of their best. This is especially true of dress code and I assure you that we will continue to encourage pupils in the wearing of school uniform. Our uniform represents perfectly the values and ethos which characterise our school.

Boys Uniform

• Maroon blazer with school badge
  • Grey v-neck jumper or cardigan
  • Pale blue or white shirt
  • School tie worn & tied
  • Black shoes (not trainers)
  • Grey dress trousers (not black)

Girls Uniform

• Maroon blazer with school badge
  • Grey v-neck jumper or cardigan
  • Pale blue or white shirt
  • School tie worn & tied
  • Black shoes (not trainers)
  • Grey dress trousers or
  • Grey school skirt of an appropriate/ modest length and comfort (not tight fitting)
  • NO short or mini skirts
  • Grey knee high socks

PE Kit

• Sky blue polo shirt
  • Black or navy shorts/tracksuit trousers
  • Training shoes which have built in support (not fashion shoes)

Medical Conditions  

From contacting each primary and gaining a fuller picture of each individual child we are aware that there are a number of pupils with medical conditions and who may be on prescribed medication. In the past, the school has held spare medication in the office and there is no reason why this cannot continue to happen at Saint Ninian’s. The school will be open during the summer holidays and I would encourage you to take this opportunity to drop in any spare medication. Office staff will list any details and keep the medication safe and securely stored. Parents, as the child’s main carer, have a responsibility to provide the school with sufficient information about their child’s medical condition. They must also notify the school of any changes to that medication.

School Transport

East Renfrewshire currently provides free transport for all secondary pupils who live more than three miles from their local school (by the recognised shortest safe walking route) and live within the authority. If you feel this is applicable to your child the link below will take you to East Renfrewshire Councils web page where the relevant form can be downloaded.

http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1810

Free Meals and Clothing Grants

If in the past your child has been entitled to free school meals or clothing grants you will be required to apply again to ensure they receive the same support in Secondary. If you feel this is applicable to your child the link below will take you to East Renfrewshire Councils web page where the relevant form can be completed online. Like the school transport above, I would encourage all parents to do this in advance of your child starting at Saint Ninian’s.

http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1808

Thursday 13th August

I look forward to seeing your child again on Thursday 13th of August as they begin the next part of their educational journey in Saint Ninian’s. All of our new first year pupils should be in school well before the first bell at 8.40am. Our day will begin with an assembly in the forum and I would ask that our first year students meet there beforehand. At the end of the assembly their period one teacher will meet them and take them to class. During the day some of our sixth year students will be on hand to guide them to each of their subjects with pastoral staff visiting classes to ensure there are no issues.

On Thursday 13th August your child will be given their personal identification number for our cashless canteen. They will be given an opportunity to put money into their account in order to buy a meal from the school canteen. If, in the past, your child has brought a packed lunch to school please feel free to continue this practice.

I am looking forward to working with both you and your child and I wish you a very enjoyable summer holiday.

Yours sincerely

P Marshall

Depute Head Teacher

Share this Post