RESOLVE:ASL has been set up by Children in Scotland to assist Scottish education authorities to meet the mediation requirements in the new Education (Additional Support for Learning)(Scotland) Act 2004/2009.
East Renfrewshire Council’s Education Department works in partnership with RESOLVE: ASL for the provision of independent mediation services.
In the first instance of any disagreement all attempts should be made at school then local authority level to resolve the issue/s however if the situation is still ‘stuck’ then independent mediation should be considered.
The service involves:
- A child centred approach to resolving disputes and disagreements over Additional Support for Learning (ASL)
- An emphasis on building trust and understanding to promote effective parent/professionals partnerships.
A RESOLVE: ASL mediator is a trained independent and neutral third person who will:
- Work with services and families to resolve disputes
- Assist in communication and encourage mutual understanding
- Assist the parties to arrive at the outcomes/agreements themselves
- Establish a basis for effective parent/professional partnerships
A RESOLVE: ASL mediator does not make decisions or recommend solutions. This service is free for parents/carers and children and young people.
It should be stressed that third-party mediation is required in only a few circumstances where a resolution cannot be reached at school level. Should it be felt that significant time is passing without a resolution, mediation may be suggested to you by the school or the education authority. In the first instance you should contact the education department and ask to speak to the officer with responsibility for additional support for learning, 0141 577 3578, who will advise you of the process. You can of course make contact with RESOLVE: ASL directly, 0131 222 2456, for advice; however you may be redirected to the education authority to proceed.