Friday Bundle 13.11.20

Good afternoon everyone

I am very pleased to let you know that, following a successful AGM last night, Netherlee’s Parent Council is back up and running.  We now have a new PC Chairperson, Mr Stevenson and a new Vice Chairperson, Mr Capek as well as a new Secretary, Ms Bryant.  I am also delighted that many new parent members of both the school and nursery were welcomed to the Parent Council.  Myself, Mrs Sweeney, Mrs Roberts and the rest of the staff team are very much looking forward to continuing to work in partnership with the Parent Council as well as, of course, the wider Parent Forum.

Thank you very much for such high engagement (over 99%) with the parent/ teacher phone conversations over the past fortnight.  Feedback from all teachers has been extremely positive and I know they have felt very grateful to you for your warm words of appreciation to them.   As I mentioned previously, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch with us if you feel you would like any more information or would like to discuss something in greater detail or indeed if you have any feedback that you would like to share with me.  Hopefully, fingers crossed, by the time our next round of Parent/ Teacher Meetings take place we will all be able to enjoy seeing each other in person.

I would like, if I may, to share with you some further information around Scotland’s Recovery Curriculum which I hope you find interesting.  As you know, we are continuing to focus on addressing any learning loss as a result of the lockdown between March and June.  As such we continue to focus primarily on the three key areas of Literacy, Numeracy and Health and Wellbeing.  This curriculum streamlining is very much in line with both national and local guidance.  However, I am sure like me, you will see the importance of also including Health and Wellbeing as a key and vital area for all schools to be addressing right now.  As our children in Netherlee are making very good progress indeed, since the October holidays we have also incorporated an element of contextualised learning where my teachers will, when appropriate, take a theme or topic title eg The Titanic and will use this context to continue to teach the three key areas.  By incorporating a context this helps to motivate and capture the interest of the children in their class and also by the very nature of the topic, some elements from the, for example  Art, Social Studies, French or Science curricular frameworks will also be addressed although not as the main focus at this time.  You will have seen lots of evidence of this if you have visited our Twitter Feed and have enjoyed looking at the variety of experiences the children are now back to enjoying throughout each day.  By scrutinising all assessment and attainment data, as well as the ongoing dialogue between teachers and members of the leadership team around how settled and happy the children are, I am very reassured about the very good progress that our children across all stages of the school are making. By focussing on the key skills as well as being able to provide a range of additional supports where necessary, we are confident that our children are getting back on track very well and their learning will soon be where we would want and would expect it to be in normal times pre Covid and Lockdown.  Provided schools remain open, once our children are indeed fully back on track, the wider curriculum will be more fully reintroduced and our children’s fundamental literacy and numeracy skills, which are crucial to accessing any learning, will be at a level that they should be. This will mean that our children will then be able to access all elements of the Scottish Curriculum again. I hope you have found this description of where we are in school helpful however do please get in touch if you would like to discuss this further with me or any member of the Leadership Team.

From Monday, following government guidance, children can now take part in indoor PE however outdoors is still the preferred option.  Children can continue to come to school in a polo shirt on both indoor and outdoor PE days if they choose.

When the weather and ground surface permits, our classes enjoy using the pitch next to the school.  Unfortunately, over recent weeks the pitch has been littered with somewhat unsavoury matter as dog walkers have not been picking up after their dogs.  As you know the pitch does not belong to the school however, I would ask you to try to help us with this if you do use the area to walk your dog- many thanks.

I would like to wish all families who celebrate this festival a happy, safe and blessed Diwali. I hope you enjoy this special time.

Please find the link for the Christmas Lunch Order Menu.

Have a good weekend everyone, keep well.

Mrs Donaldson