Friday Bundle 04.12.20

Hello again everyone

I can now confirm that school and nursery will both close on Friday 18th December as planned.  School will close at 2.30pm that day and nursery hours will remain unchanged.  We will then look forward to welcoming everyone back to Netherlee on Tuesday 5th January 2021.

I am very pleased to share that our Covid related pupil absences remain extremely low in Netherlee.  However, we have very good systems in place for ensuring that any child who is self-isolating can engage in remote learning whilst at home.  We continue to use the Google Platform for this home learning via your child’s Google Classroom.  Recently, the Leadership Team have been asking some children who have gone through this experience how they have found it.  They have shared that they found the procedures in place to be very good and they liked how staff were checking in with them while they were not in school.  Some of the comments from the children include:

“The tasks that we were given were fun and not too hard or easy, they were just right.”

“I liked that my teacher checked in with me.”

“The work was fine, I missed my friends though.”

“It was great that I had the jotters at home.”

“It was easier to concentrate on my work cos it was quieter.”

“There was just the right amount of work.”

“The instructions to do the work were good. It was easy to understand what I had to do.”

As you can see, it is reassuring to hear that the children asked so far have said that the learning was a positive experience with a few stating that the only negative was that they missed being in school and being with their friends in class.  We of course missed them too but it is also reassuring to know that our remote learning procedures are working well when needing to be implemented.  If your own child has experienced remote learning since returning to school in August and you would like to share any of your own thoughts in relation to this then please do get in touch with me.  I am always very interested and grateful to receive any helpful feedback from you.

You will now be able to see, on the Netherlee Website, a stage specific list of useful websites which I hope you and your child will find both helpful and fun to engage with. These are now available under the Curriculum Tab.

Netherlee Living Advent is back this year and we are asking the local community get involved. Our school and nursery will be joining in the festive fun by unveiling windows on 15th December. Please click on the link http://www.netherleelivingadvent.co.uk/ for more details or have a look at the attached map and route.

Join the PTA for their next meeting on Wednesday 9th December @ 7pm – https://uofglasgow.zoom.us/j/93022166470?pwd=R250Wm9reWVjRWw0L2VRdmk1ZHVxQT09 (Meeting ID: 930 2216 6470 and Passcode: 624754).

And finally…..  I am delighted to share that one of my lovely teachers, Miss Alison Montgomery, is going to have a very special day very soon as she celebrates her marriage on 12th December.  We look forward to welcoming Mrs Alison McGuire J back the following Monday.  I am sure you will join me in wishing Alison a very happy and special day.

I hope all families have a lovely weekend.

Mrs Donaldson

Additional Year Group Additions:

P5: Attached to this email is a letter from P5 teachers with regards to the Senior Citizens Christmas Tea.

P1/2: It’s an exciting time in school just now on the run up to Christmas! Your children are continuing to work really hard and are enjoying all the learning that is taking place. I’m delighted with how well they have settled into school life and I can’t believe they’re almost half way through the session!

Our P1 and P2 children would love to share some of their learning with you. With this in mind, our P1 and P2 teachers will be making a short film of the children in their class and the learning that is taking place around the Nativity story. The children have been working really hard to learn their lines and create some beautiful artwork too!

Your child’s class’s short film will be made available to view on your child’s Google Classroom. Please remember that this is a secure environment where children’s work can be shared and only the children and parents/carers from your child’s class will have access to it. As such, these films must not be shared on any social media platform please. We will let you know when these are available and we hope you will thoroughly enjoy watching them!