The Battle of Bannockburn

Primary 5.1 had a fabulous time in Stirling today!

Our learning context is Scottish Wars of Independence and our trip brought it all to a conclusion.

It was scary when you were in the 3D room.  It brought things to life and arrows shooting towards you. It was like being in the battle.  Will

I spoke to someone who gave me some information about my battle that was coming up.  Jamie

Before the trip we researched William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, Margaret Maid of Norway, John Balliol, Edward II, Alexander III and we made PowerPoints to share our learning.  Visiting Bannockburn gave us a better idea of what it was like during that time.  Thalia

It was very hard, stressful and tactical.  We had to decide where to move our soldiers and try to protect our king.  Team work and problem solving skills were necessary doing this.  Joseph O

I liked going outside to look at the monuments.  Zaid

We got to try on armour that the soldiers wore and I tried on the chainmail and it was really heavy. At Bannockburn we tried on chainmail and tried to do a cheer move to see how difficult it would be.

It was so much fun.  We got to try on armour.  I learned how heavy it was and don’t know how the soldiers managed to run on it.  It was cool we got to wear armour from this time. Olivia

Bannockburn was a lot of fun, I loved trying on the armour and we learned more about Scottish Wars of Independence.  Sarah M

Will wearing armour

I liked the 3D room and the battle room.  I was the queen and it was hard for me to work my way to Stirling castle.  My soldiers had to protect me and I lost.  The skills I was developing here were to trust your team and make decisions together.  Sophia

It was really heavy and the swords were life like.  Oliver

Joseph O wearing armour.

It was very heavy and it must have been hard to run wearing it.

I really liked the battle game because you got to move the troops and make tactical decisions of what to do.  James

Robert the Bruce monument with our battle faces on.

The suit was itchy but comfortable.  I was an archer.   I knew a lot but learned more about the battle of Bannochburn,  weapons and armour.  Oli

Zaid handling the crossbow

Jamie modeling a combination of armour, clothing and weapons

Oliver the soldier

Sophia wearing chain mail – it was so heavy!