Medical and Health Care

ADMINISTRATION OF MEDICINES

The administration of prescribed medicines is a matter within the direction of the head of the establishment – Liz Edmonstone

In order to assist the staff involved in the observation of safe practices, I should be grateful for your full co-operation as follows:

• inform me of any medicine required to be taken by your child during the school day;
  • attend a meeting which I shall arrange to discuss the details; if necessary;
  • assist with the administration of the medicine, in particular complex cases;
  • complete the parental request form,  see link below, and pass to me with the medicine;
  • a separate supply of medicine, properly labelled, should be obtained from the pharmacist;
  • ensure that the medicine container is clearly labelled with:
    1. the name of your child;
    2. the name of the medicine, and;
    3. the dosage and time.
  • note that oral information will not be acted upon;
  • note that the only pain relieving, non-prescribed medicine which may be given to pupils is paracetamol;
  • if your child suffers from asthma, it is essential that you inform me of any restrictions which need to be applied to his/her activities, and the medication which has been prescribed for routine and emergency treatment;
  • if your child suffers from epileptic attacks, diabetes or anaphylactic shock, it is essential that you inform me of the appropriate emergency treatment which should be given.Thank you for your assistance with this matter.

Administering Medicine updated Aug 2020

Reducing the Risk of Transmitting Infections

Children who have an infectious disease should not be at school. They should only return after the risk of spreading infection to others has passed.

It should be noted that certain infections, if caught by a pregnant member of staff or parent, can pose a danger to her unborn baby. You are therefore asked to notify the school office if your child has one of the following infections:

• german measles (Rubella)
  •  chickenpox
  •  slapped cheek (parvovirus)
  • measles
  • shingles

Head Lice Information Leaflet 1

Head Lice Information Leaflet 2