The 50 mark question in Paper 2. Remember you will need to watch your time management. You are looking to gain 1 mark per minute.
By the end of this topic you should be able to:
- describe and explain the general distribution of river basins and water control projects in North America or Africa or Asia
- use a range of maps, climate graphs, tables and river hydrographs for any river basin in North America or Africa or Asia to explain why there is a water supply problem and why the water storage scheme is essential, and
- describe ways in which the river’s flow has changed since the building of dams
Referring in detail to the named river basin which you have studied (e.g. the Colorado River):
- explain why there was a need for river basin management
- explain the physical and Human factors which had to be considered when selecting sites for dams and reservoirs
- explain how the scheme affects the hydrological cycle of the basin
- describe and account for the social, economic and environmental benefits and adverse consequences (disadvantages) of the watercontrol projects in the basin
- evaluate the success of the scheme in terms of its social, economic, political and environmental impact
- explain the political problems which have resulted or may result from management of the river
- suggest why political considerations might hinder the success of the project.